MOT Emissions fail, help please

inspiral

Hi AllFirstly apologies for posting this here instead of the Technical forum but my car is a daily driver so felt the extra attention traffic here would get me back on the road quicker. Mods feel free to move if you feel this is the correct thing to do.My 04 350z is standard except for a Japspeed cat back exhaust and it's just failed the MOT emissions test. I've got the previous years results and it passed well within all the appropriate limits. The has always been serviced as per the recommended schedule and runs well on the road. It has 77k on the clock.Can I have your thoughts please on how to address the following test results.Thanks very much for your time.

post-17649-0-43700800-1386692254_thumb.jpg

Edited by inspiral

Are you running normal cats? Sounds like one or both of them may have failed. Did the MOT place not offer any sort of advice?

I passed my emmission test recently with HFC's (Which they're designed to do), but was worried about this test. I'd say the cats are the first port of call. Do you know any other members, there may be someone near you who has a set you could used for the MOT. At least then you'd know if they were the issue. If you were near Leeds I'd happily lend you mine.

Sounds like one or both of them may have failed. Did the MOT place not offer any sort of advice? ./snip/. If you were near Leeds I'd happily lend you mine.

Only having done 77k I hope the Cats haven't expired. Thanks for the offer, shame you're not local.

If I'm right in thinking, that only failed by a small margin. How far was the drive to the MOT station? and How long had the car been running before the MOT?

This is the flaw in my plan, I'm only 5 mins from the station and I took it straight there first think. The tester let her idle up to temp, I didn't feel that was right at the time but didn't say anything.The best they could do advice he was to try an injector cleaner. Which incidentally he said would also make me more attractive to the opposite sex :wacko:

Edited by inspiral

Sounds like one or both of them may have failed. Did the MOT place not offer any sort of advice? ./snip/. If you were near Leeds I'd happily lend you mine.

Only having done 77k I hope the Cats haven't expired. Thanks for the offer, shame you're not local.

If I'm right in thinking, that only failed by a small margin. How far was the drive to the MOT station? and How long had the car been running before the MOT?

This is the flaw in my plan, I'm only 5 mins from the station and I took it straight there first think. The tester let her idle up to temp, I didn't feel that was right at the time but didn't say anything.The best they could do advice he was to try an injector cleaner. Which incidentally he said would also make me more attractive to the opposite sex :wacko:

Yeah, go for a half hour drive, put your foot down a bit here and there, get the car nice and hot, should fly through :)

Exactly, I have taken my cars to the same garage for the past 5 years and they know that if I roll up the cats are nice and hot ready to go. Had HFC's in my previous car which were always marginal and the zed's always seem to be almost on the limit of passing.