To uprate or not uprate?

Danny350z

Bit of a dilemma.

My clutch is on it's way out, as are the front pads and all the discs are pretty much shot.

So on Monday my local stealer will be ordering clutch, discs all round and front pads. All OEM.

Having given it some thought today I'm half considering whether to tell him not to bother ordering an instead buy uprated parts.

Problem is, I don't know how much longer I'll be keeping my 350z, due to business being pretty good over the last 6 months me and my business partner are considering 911 territory.

The same thing kind of happened before I bought the 350, I bought brand new tyres all round and some other bits and then ended up getting rid a month or so later when I moved up to the Zed. Obviously buying those parts became a regret as I could have saved money (which we all like to do).

So do I just buy OEM parts (then end up sticking with the 350 for longer and regret not uprating them) or buy uprated parts an then kick myself if I change car shortly after?

Decisions decisions!

Also, opinions on aftermarket clutch and discs please (I'd probably get DS2500's pads for the front if I go the uprated route). Then of course I end up asking myself whether I should uprate the flywheel at the same time!

If you give me an idea of what you have been quoted for the pads,discs etc. I can give you some options on uprated items for the same or perhaps even less money.

Clutch, discs, pads and labour were quoted at £1500.

I think the discs were about £170+ as someone else said here.

Pads about £100-£120?

Clutch I'm unsure on.

My mum works there so it's possible I might get discount on the parts as well. (Price quoted was just standard though, without any discount)

Ok, options

EBC turbo grooved discs

front £197.75 pair

rear £177.77 pair

redstuff pads £99 full car set

ebc_21.jpg

DBA 4000 series discs

Front £350 pair

Rear £323 pair

Ferodo DS2500 pads £185 full car set

dba4000-1.jpg

Exedy standard spec clutch £240

Exedy organic £395

If I was to get the EBC Turbo Grooved discs I'm looking at £751(ish)... do you not recommend the DS2500's with these? I only ask as I bought rear pads from you not that long ago so they're relatively new still and don't really need to replace them.

Saying that, for the price of DS2500 front pads I could just get Redstuff all round?

The Exedy standard clutch, how does it compare to the OEM one?

Is the Exedy Organic the same as this one (I read elsewhere the Nismo clutch was manufactured by Exedy?):

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/21-2062

Do you sell the Nismo exhaust as well?

If I was to get the EBC Turbo Grooved discs I'm looking at £751(ish)... do you not recommend the DS2500's with these? I only ask as I bought rear pads from you not that long ago so they're relatively new still and don't really need to replace them.

Saying that, for the price of DS2500 front pads I could just get Redstuff all round?

The Exedy standard clutch, how does it compare to the OEM one?

Is the Exedy Organic the same as this one (I read elsewhere the Nismo clutch was manufactured by Exedy?):

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/21-2062

Do you sell the Nismo exhaust as well?

The DS2500 pads are fine with the EBC discs and will give you a very noticeable improvement over standard, I was just giving you all the options.

Exedy standard clutch is the original as used in the car in manufacture.

The Exedy organic is not the same as the Nismo the Exedy has a much higher clampng force.

Don't do the Nismo exhaust, sorry.

So, erm... this little dilemma has been resolved.

I have coming from Bigphil;

EBC Discs

Ferodo front pads

Exedy Organic Clutch

Phil's custom induction kit

and new wiper blades

and from Adam the Nismo Exhaust.

Don't you just hate it when you start thinking "Well if I just do this.... and I may as well get..."? :blush:

Cheers Danny - not sure about the Z, as I've yet to see the clutch kit, but generally the Exedy clutches come complete with the alignment tool, throwout bearing, etc. On the Z, the bearing gets pressed onto a sleeve - so you will need a garage with a press for this (or, perhaps you can ask your vendor is the bearing comes pre-pressed onto a new sleeve)

Adam

• 3 weeks later...

Just want to say thanks to Adam at Z1 for the Nismo exhuast, tax and duty was far cheaper than I was expecting and can't believe how quick it came considering the size of it!! You could hide people in that box!!

and thanks to Phil for the other parts I needed, everything top notch as usual :D

Now, sod's law, my mechanic is on holiday until Monday!