Stock Alloys, Rays, tyres and other daft questions

PiGFoetus

Hi all,

I am currently sorting out my wheels and have a few of questions / need confirmation of my understanding.

I have a 2005 350z Roadster which I bought back in July with stock 18" alloys. I have also just purchased a set of 350Z 18" forged Rays. I intend to get some winter tyres put on the standard alloys, and some summer tyres on the Rays (after a refurb) to herald in the end of spring next year.

I want standard tyre sizes: 245/45 R18 on the rear and 225/45 R18 on the front.

When I came to check the current tyres, however, the previous owner has fitted 225/45 R18 all round (front and rear).

As I understand it (having just searched the forum for a while), the rear wheels should be 8.5J and the front should be 8j. Is there a way to check (without physically measuring the width) whether the wheels are currently on the right way around (or indeed are the right size ... I could be running with four front wheels for all I know :))?

Secondly, I believe that come the spring the Rays should replace the current standard wheels without any further modification in the way of spacers. Take one set off, put the other on. Am I correct in my assumption?

Apologies for the daft questions,

Cheers

Pete

If you're referring to the standard 18 inch GT wheels, they (the wheels) are the same width front and back. It's just the tyre sizes that are different 225/245 respectively.

The Rays wheels are different widths 8j and 8.5j respectively.

I only discovered this recently myself. I thought both sets of wheels where different widths front and rear but oh no, it's just the Rays.

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

Just "found" a 350 wiki that confirms that:

My stock wheels are 18-inch Touring wheels V1 (at least so called in the US)

Front and Rear Size: 18x8.0 Offset: +30mm

The Rays are 18-inch Track wheels V1

Front

Size: 18x8.0

Offset: +30mm

Rear

Size: 18x8.5

Offset: +33mm

Funny how we measure the rim size and width in inches, but the offset in mm.