My Visit to PowerFlow

Grundy

So, I went to a garage in southampton today, to what I thought was to discuss about my Power Flow exhaust options.

When I arrived, realised it was a small garage I went to last year for a tyre :lol:

Anyway, I spoke to guy who would be carrying out the work. I'd spoken to him on the phone twice before, told him my car, a little about what I was after etc.

- 1st problem, he goes, 'Oh is that the 350z? not the 370z?' It's not like I've already told him this, after he told me he was going to do some research into this ready for when I came.

- 2nd problem, he didn't put it up on ramps, garage was full, 2 cars already on the ramps, so he just walks up to the back of my car and just looks underneath from the rear. Which is fine, but I asked on the phone if he can make the Decats and Y pipe as well, to which he replied he needs to see it.

- Lastly, I was there all of 5-10 minutes to which he said I'd give you a call tomorrow, I've never done a 350z before, so need to speak to other suppliers. Didn't get to talk about sound, what I want from it, how it's made etc. So I spent 20 minutes of my lunch driving there, 5-10 minutes chat, then the drive back. The information he found out there, he could of easily got off the internet :/

Anyway, I'm now wondering, how custom is Power Flow? Is it just an off the shelf system that is sent to the garage who fit it?

As i'm now debating to go back to MIJ Performance in Birmingham and getting it fully custom made there, as I know that's exactly what they do.

Any thoughts? Others opinions? Also when you got a PowerFlow system, did you get two rear pipes or a different backbox?

First question I would ask is can he do a mandrel bended system? (not crushing the pipe for angles).

MIJ has a really good reputation and TBH from the power flow system on my Yaris I would never go back there. Most are franchises so he might be good but from what you have said so far I doubt it!

a powerflow system tends to be made up of off the shelf components ( cats, silencers, resonators, tips etc ) as will most "custom" exhausts.

a powerflow is custom in terms of they are made on your car, but correct me if im wrong but choosing the sound is only done by changing the size of the resonator to cancel out certain frequencies in the exhaust note.

there are no calculations done to work out flow rates, or what is best for the engine, there is no research or development done either so it can be pretty hit or miss.

Depending on what your after and how much they are going to charge you it may be better buying a full system from a reputable supplier that is designed to fit the car and actually improve the exhaust flow. All the traders on here offer good deals, ive just fitted an Invidia Gemini with Berk HFC's from Tarmac Sportz, cost was a little less than a custom one from AAS exhausts ( near newcastle upon tyne, who build exhausts for race cars etc and know what they are doing) but the sound is amazing!

You have a vision and idea of what you want, this guy just wants your money, walk away and wait until you find the right supplier. Zugara, an ex member had one put together by someone down that way I think, Doogyrev mat well remember, PM him and ask the question. :)

try Mike Stoke Motorsports in Bournemouth..guy there is awesome and building systems.

http://www.mikestoke...s/exhausts.html

350z on the front page :thumbs: I'll give him a call tomorrow, thanks.

You have a vision and idea of what you want, this guy just wants your money, walk away and wait until you find the right supplier. Zugara, an ex member had one put together by someone down that way I think, Doogyrev mat well remember, PM him and ask the question. :)

Ta, i'll drop him a PM