New rear tyres

Nick U

Iv'e got to the stage now where I need to replace my rear tyres. :surrender:

I guess a couple of things are going to influence my decision here.

1. Can you mix tyre types? For example if I decide not to go for the Bridgestones can I have Bridgestones on the front and another make on the back?

2. Are the RE050's considerably better and worth paying a fair bit more for over the RE040's?

3. Can you just replace the two rear tyres and not the front? Wasn't sure if this would play havec with the traction control?

4. What speed rating are they supossed to have?

i've got the factory fit bridgestones on the front and toyo proxies tr-1 on the rear, not happy with the setup even after 6 months or so, guess it's coz the fronts have stiffer side walls than the rears :wacko:

just waiting for the fronts to wear some more then i'll replace them with toyo's to see if it even's it out, only time will tell, if it doesn't then i may go back to the bridgestones even if most people on here hate them :wacko:

KZ are the ones that don't have the feathering issue iirc.

A member on here has the RE050, but I can't remember who - sorry, and again iirc reported well on them.

Agree that if you mix types it will more than likely give you headaches.

I was running the same as Neo and had no problem with the tow different brands and like Neo was waiting for the OEM bridgestones to wear out.

Now on Toyo's all round. Loads better grip that the OEM tyres

Cheers guys, im thinking I will just replace them with the standard RE040's.

Does anyone know the difference between RE040's and RE040's KZ?

If you`re going for RE040`s (I love the stiff sidewalls) make sure the fronts are the XZ pattern, it doesn`t matter for the rears. The KZ`s on the front suffered from feathering. :)

I had RE050s on the frnt and didn't have any complaints. I removed them after a 1000 or so miles as I had a blowout on one of my rear 040s and replaced all with Toyo T1Rs.

Honestly, I'd change all 4. It cost just a bit more for 4 toyos than it does for 2 'stones. The difference is amazing. The ESP light never comes on now unless you purposely try to get it on!

Ok, can I get this cleared up. Do the KZ's have the feathering problem or not???? I got them but no feathering as far as I can see. I was under the impression that it was the suspension geometry that caused the problem.

Guy

Ok, can I get this cleared up. Do the KZ's have the feathering problem or not???? I got them but no feathering as far as I can see. I was under the impression that it was the suspension geometry that caused the problem.

Guy

KZ fronts have the feathering problem on the RE040`s.

You need XZ

• 2 weeks later...
i've got the factory fit bridgestones on the front and toyo proxies tr-1 on the rear, not happy with the setup even after 6 months or so, guess it's coz the fronts have stiffer side walls than the rears :wacko:

just waiting for the fronts to wear some more then i'll replace them with toyo's to see if it even's it out, only time will tell, if it doesn't then i may go back to the bridgestones even if most people on here hate them :wacko:

Neo! :scare: You skinflint! Get them changed!!!! :yahoo:

I had RE050s on the frnt and didn't have any complaints. I removed them after a 1000 or so miles as I had a blowout on one of my rear 040s and replaced all with Toyo T1Rs.

Honestly, I'd change all 4. It cost just a bit more for 4 toyos than it does for 2 'stones. The difference is amazing. The ESP light never comes on now unless you purposely try to get it on!

I couldn't agree more. Just spend a little more and the handling of your car in wet conditions will improve with 200%. Also during hard acceleration in dry conditions, the esp won't come on so easily anymore as with the bridgestones.

Those bridgestones are dangerous imo and should be replaced asap to enjoy the full potential of the Z.

I have two RE040's (rears) in my garage from when I changed all four of mine to Toyo's. If you're interested PM me. :)

Ahhh damm. Gone and bought some new ones. Shame otherwise I would have had them off you.

Cheers anyway.

Tell you what though, I really noticed a lot more grip putting the new ones on. Happy again. :teeth: