Sat Nav query :)

giggsyson

hello

This may seem like a really stupid question but I will ask anyway...

Just bought myself a 350z GT (yet to pick it up though :( ) but it does not have the factory sat nav fitted...

At first I wasnt really bothered but i keep looking at the place where it will be and its annoying me having that space as a storage box when it really should have the sat nav screen etc in there - it looks so much nicer with the sat nav, i was just too impatient to wait :(

so my question is this, can you install the facotry sat nav system (or something similar to it) in there if you currently do not have it? Or is this a really obvious no?

what is a DE model? sorry if thats a really basic question. Im very new to the whole 350 thing

as for how good the sat nav is, im not really bothered, its just when i look on the internet and i see the screen in there it just looks a million times better than a black lid - then again maybe i should just concentrate on driving the thing (once i get it) :)

The sat nav is pants, and that cubby is handy. If you do want a sat nav you can mount a proper one in there or get one built into a double din head unit when you replace the Bose one which is also pretty rubbish.

As long as it has good service history and drives fine I wouldn't worry about having no nav.

For reference, DE is the earlier engine (2006 and earlier) HR is the newer 2007 onwards one (Zeds with the bulge on their bonnet)

thanks for the replies guys

Ah my car is 2004 so the earlier engine - is there much difference?

I did think when i test drove it that the storage bit would come in handy but its just as ive looked at more and seen pics of the sat nav in there it does look way better. However there is no way i would even contemplate spending that sort of money on getting it. If i had that amount to blow on the car i think id do more with it than a nav haha. I need to stop reading the modification section!! :lol:

I've got a 2004 DE, no nav, I just wedge my garmin in there nicely and bob's your uncle. I'm tempted to fit it permanently in that space. If you have the skills, the cubby is the perfect size to rip the cubby lid off and jam a nexus 7 in there. Then you've got sat nav and tunes and anything else you want for a fraction of the price of the OEM with a nice little tablet to boot.

• Like 1

skills? I have no skills with things like that tbh - i would have to either rely on one of my mates who are skilled up or pay someone. I think I will see how i go, if it grates on me then i may go along the lines of what you suggested stu - that sounds like a much better soloution, Dont suppose you have any pics?

Wish I did, I keep looking a my cubby and thinking a Nexus job SHOULD be easy enough, but I'm not skilled either. Might still give it a go though. Do a quick search, I'm sure there are a few around on here.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/77413-ads-tablet-install/

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/63781-nissan-350z-custom-ipad-install/

I have the sat nav and it's really not the best, I'm keeping in there but making a cover and going to put a mount for my HTC One on the cover, then connecting it using my Bluetooth adapter (not Nissan one) which sits in the cubby hole behind the handbreak attached to the aux cable from the Bose hack. :)

• Like 1