DIY servicing; to do or not to do?

Lincolnbaggie

Even with receipts for those geniune parts?

What about if another garage had done with with geniune or better parts

But what do receipts prove? There is no guarantee those parts were even used to service the car? For me its about accountability no matter how incompetent the dealer is. If I buy a lambo that has had a new clutch fitted by a dealer 300 miles before, and it goes, It will be going back to that dealer to argue the toss as not fit for purpose, call trading standards or the local press etc.

If I buy one that has been serviced by a non dealer or independant garage that give me no peace of mind of the cars traceable history from the last oficial stamp in the book to present day. End result? I walk away.

:)

I don't understand what the difference is in terms of tracability. If you got it fitted at a dealer and it goes tits up then you would go back to the dealer. If you had it fitted by a garage and it went tits up you would go back to the garage?

It would be the same outcome i.e. it would be down to the garage to sort it. Going on the reports from Nissan warranty service working with a Nissan garage is not going to be any 'better' than working with any other garage.

That said I'm talking about standard service items like you oil/filter/brake fluids

I think you slightly miss understood me. If the car was out of warranty I would not be insistant on it having FNSH but at least FSH. Lincolnbaggie was talking about servicing the car himself and therefore meaning no dealer or garage stamp for the service book. For me this would not constitute FSH.

If it was in warranty then it would 100% have to be FNSH :)

Happy now :teeth:

Argued my corner and have got the price down to £111 including coolant change and a courtesy car. It's going in this week!

Cheers for all your thoughts guys.

I would personally have an independent tuner look after my car who is far more knowledgeable than some random nissan grease monkeys and who actually gives 2 shits about my car and wont rip me off! so thats what ive got :D

I would personally have an independent tuner look after my car who is far more knowledgeable than some random nissan grease monkeys and who actually gives 2 shits about my car and wont rip me off! so thats what ive got :D

who do you use......?

100% agree. I would not take my car to Nissan if it was the last garage on earth. Their reputation is VERY poor. I have a local garage that does all the 'major' stuff on my car. they are helpful, thorough and friendly to boot.

They know their stuff and have a GREAT reputation. They are VAT registered and will stamp any book for work done.

As it is, my car is an import that came with no service history so the issue is not important to me.

When I buy a car I go on what I can see and hear and smell. This has always been a great guide to me.

My one failing was with a Jaguar XK8 that had full Jaguar service history and had been serviced about 3000 miles before I bought it. The cam chain snapped about 200 miles later. Jaguars help??? **** all mate I can tell you.

I service everything myself - basic stuff - and keep all the receipts for all items purchased.

If you keep your car 3 or 4 years. What you pay on servicing will be more than the difference in price between my car and yours!!

The words FSH do not by the way mean what they seem to mean. All they mean is the book has stamps in it. I have a friend who for a few bob will take your honda service book and put as many stamps in it as you want. change the dates and put the right sort of mileage in. A quick oil change and your car LOOKS to be top notch.

GO ON WHAT YOU SEE and TAKE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS with you.

Ming the cautious

100% agree. I would not take my car to Nissan if it was the last garage on earth. Their reputation is VERY poor. I have a local garage that does all the 'major' stuff on my car. they are helpful, thorough and friendly to boot.

They know their stuff and have a GREAT reputation. They are VAT registered and will stamp any book for work done.

As it is, my car is an import that came with no service history so the issue is not important to me.

When I buy a car I go on what I can see and hear and smell. This has always been a great guide to me.

My one failing was with a Jaguar XK8 that had full Jaguar service history and had been serviced about 3000 miles before I bought it. The cam chain snapped about 200 miles later. Jaguars help??? **** all mate I can tell you.

I service everything myself - basic stuff - and keep all the receipts for all items purchased.

If you keep your car 3 or 4 years. What you pay on servicing will be more than the difference in price between my car and yours!!

The words FSH do not by the way mean what they seem to mean. All they mean is the book has stamps in it. I have a friend who for a few bob will take your honda service book and put as many stamps in it as you want. change the dates and put the right sort of mileage in. A quick oil change and your car LOOKS to be top notch.

Ming the cautious

All things being equal i'd agree with you. But you have an import that could of been drifting around tokyo before you had it. Whether it was or not neither you or i know. Thats the risk you take with an import. The fact that an import has no warranty means that people like your self will service themselves or get a local dealer to do it. This again is adding to the next purchasers concerns as to the history of the car which is a factor why an import will depreciate faster and be harder to sell on resale.

No one is saying Nissan are great or even average for that matter, but for me i would like to know for certain that the car has been serviced to the manufacturers specifications.

I agree that an independant may do a better job but beyond you and your mechanic, no one else can verify the standard of work carried out.

My thinking comes purely from owning two zeds that were within warranty and wanting to keep it that way. :)

who do you use......?

Tim at MVS in holywell (01352) 720375, hes the guy who came on the drive out with the blue skyline, he has mine and i think 2 other zeds he looks after as well as virtually every skyline and 200sx in the area.

who do you use......?

Tim at MVS in holywell (01352) 720375, hes the guy who came on the drive out with the blue skyline, he has mine and i think 2 other zeds he looks after as well as virtually every skyline and 200sx in the area.

thanks ........ i might give him a try.......... :thumbs:

Ming the cautious

All things being equal i'd agree with you. But you have an import that could of been drifting around tokyo before you had it. Whether it was or not neither you or i know. Thats the risk you take with an import. The fact that an import has no warranty means that people like your self will service themselves or get a local dealer to do it. This again is adding to the next purchasers concerns as to the history of the car which is a factor why an import will depreciate faster and be harder to sell on resale.

No one is saying Nissan are great or even average for that matter, but for me i would like to know for certain that the car has been serviced to the manufacturers specifications.

I agree that an independant may do a better job but beyond you and your mechanic, no one else can verify the standard of work carried out.

My thinking comes purely from owning two zeds that were within warranty and wanting to keep it that way. :)

Sarnie

I understand your point of view entirely.

If I was in a position to buy a NEW car or one with a warranty attached then I would use a registered garage rather than do the work myself. That way the warranty remains valid.

I have seen enough horror stories from 'dealer servicing' to put me off for a long time to come. Good independent garages stay in business because they are good. Dealers stay in business because they sell cars and with them servicing. I am not bad mouthing all dealerships as I have had new cars before and had good service from the dealership. I have also bought second hand and had warranty work done with no quibble but generally I would go to a recommended independent every time.

At least if I do the general run of the mill stuff I KNOW it has been done properly.

I also agree that it will effect the residual value of my car but I bought cheaper import anyway so overall there will not be a lot in it!

Ming the Content

who do you use......?

thanks ........ i might give him a try.......... :thumbs:

used them for my MOT, great guys, recommended :teeth:

Car went into Nissan Louth on Friday; P3 service done (minus brake fluid plus oil provided by myself) and paid £111.00 as quoted.

Service was superb, courtesy car provided free (and not a Micra) and I shall definitely be going back............... :yahoo:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...