This doesn't look too good..!!

WhackyWill

Snow leaves motorists stranded in Cumbria

_h353_w628_m6_otrue_lfalse.jpg

A stranded motorist near Hartside on the Cumbria border.

An early taste of winter has caused travel disruption in the north of England.

Snow left a number of motorists stranded near Hartside on the Cumbria border early on Saturday morning.

_h0_w295_m6_otrue_lfalse.jpg

Motorists stranded in the snow on the Cumbria border. Image:

Temperatures have dipped below freezing in the county for several nights' running, and the cold snap is forecast to continue for the rest of the weekend.

The maximum temperature in the north-east of England isn't expected to climb above 5C until Monday.

Today's snow comes a week after the first flurries of the season were spotted in England.

A light dusting was seen on the peak of Blencathra in the Lake District last Sunday.

Snow has already fallen in Scotland, but this was the first time it has been witnessed in England since last winter.

Local authorities in England and Wales have revealed they are already preparing for a potential prolonged cold snap by stocking up with extra road salt.

Edited by WhackyWill

Oh dear, glad I've put my winter tyres on!

If you have ever drive in snow on winter tyres there is nothing to worry about. No more clenching of the butt or the slowly sliding into stuff.

I've got to test these tyres a bit though, see what the limits are. Kinda hoping for some snow now.

Oh dear, glad I've put my winter tyres on!

If you have ever drive in snow on winter tyres there is nothing to worry about. No more clenching of the butt or the slowly sliding into stuff.

I've got to test these tyres a bit though, see what the limits are. Kinda hoping for some snow now.

Ahh you will love it. It's grippy but you still have to keep your wits about you. It's not like that slidy horrible way with normal tyres. The key is to be smooth and anticipate way ahead. Winter tyres don't make you a hero :lol;