Nissan Pathfinder hesitating turbo, any advice?

stanski

Hi folks sorry to post non zed but any advice gratefully received.

My 2007 2.5dci diesel Pathfinder has been a bit jumpy recently. It's starting to hesitate at motorway speeds, when I accelerate around the 60ish mph and above with revs getting above 2000 and up I put my foot down but nothing happens its like the turbo hesitates and does not want to spin up , then a few moments later it picks up but it's very random? No smoke and the turbo is still working it just seems to be losing power at the higher rev band? I had a turbo go on my old X Trail so I know what that's like this is different?

I Know sod all about diesels but I am guessing there might be some vacuum pipe or control valve sticking or not working maybe? Any ideas? Had a look in the engine bay and can't see anything obviously loose, missing or blackened?

It's been serviced properly and has 64k on the clock.

Many thanks in advance.

Could be a build up of carbon around the vnt system within the turbine housing. That would cause the issues you described. If you have the turbo part number I can look into it a bit further.

As said above check vac lines and pipework for signs of any leaks, also boost control valve before looking at taking the turbo off for repair.

Edited by keiran D

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

No warning lights, no smoke, fuel filter about 5 months old. It seems to be ok when engine cold but after 20 or do mins thats when things start going wrong?

I just tried it now and it revved up ok over 3krpm.

Managed to get hold of mechanic mate who will check it tomorrow. He thinks the same as you: EGR, vacuum leaks, intercooler pipe crack, or DPF?

This is my last ever Diesel !

V6 petrol again after this, trouble is it needs fixing first to sell (hopefully part ex against a 370 all being well) ;-)

Thanks again will update after we find out tomortow hopefully?

Thanks Alex I am very depressed now! My mehanic mate has mentioned how expensive these dpf's are before and what he hd to do in the past!

I am preying its something simple and cheap!

Either way its deffo my last diesel I hate the buggers!

Had it diagnosed at Nissan. They think the fuel pump is breaking up since they found debris in the fuel filter? So that £2000 for the job! Wtf!

On the hunt for recon pump or from a breakers! The buggers getting sold after this! ;-(

370z it is then...

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I will get a second opinion. Its odd how it works fine when cold but not when hot? Is that the sign of a fuel pump on its way out?

I am manchester based. There is a good tuning place who have been good in the past and Westway Nissan oldham have ironically been good. Hmm will try to get someone else to diagnose it.

Bleeding diesels...

We look after quite a lot of navara and pathfinders, check how long it is since you last had the fuel filter changed would be my first suggestion it has been know an old filter can cause it also i have seen some cheap non genuine filters get sucked in restricting flow so check for that , exhaust gas recirculation (egr) valve can stick and give a similar symptom, as can the suction control valve.

Hi everyone thanks very much for your suggestions.

I hopped on the Navara forum as there is not a Pathfinder one, and they gave me a list of things to check, change etc.

As mentioned on here the first thing is the change the fuel filter. Even though mine had 'apparently been done about 5000 miles ago' (it did look a bit rusty?) I got a new one and fitted it yesterday, I drove it like I stole it up and down the motorway (which is when it displays the symptoms) and wow its fixed! It runs like a bat out of hell and purrs like a kitten chewing diesel sweets! Lovely! :yahoo:

So for a £14.98 fuel filter and 15 mins of my time, I have saved £2000 on Nissan's quote!

Happy bunny but the clock is ticking now for the Pathfinder, a 370z is on the cards (Lucy wont like it .... but no doubt she will want to drive it)

PS yes I have used Lockwood and Greenwood for my Zed years ago (they are good but sometimes need a prod in the right direction to wake them up!)