350Z GT4 No. 163 - Build Thread

longsh07

clear out the foglight while your there :p

Way ahead of you ;)

That was on the list for today but it tipped it down so I took a break for a bit.

14810507204_65a7b580f3_z.jpg

Just out of interest how do you remove the section of red?

There is a guide on the forum somewhere but basically I just melted the glue with a hair dryer, prised the plastic lens off then the red bit just pops out :) bit more heat and press it back together. Some remove the silver reflector but I decided to keep it in. Can hardly notice it really.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Also had a play with my GoPro's time lapse mode today. For some reason it didn't take any photos during the plenum fitting and the white balance went nuts on the way home so it looked like I was driving to the sun.

Edited by longsh07
  • Like 1

Dam it I have got to get a GoPro one of these days. :lol: Excellent. :thumbs:

I strung the photos together with GoPros free editing software. I've used Sony Vegas and Adobe Premier Elements and the GoPro one is surprisingly good!

Edited by longsh07

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Jan 15

Update time, nothing major. My facelift rear lights arrived today so whacked those on right away. Second picture shows old style left and new style right. Cant pick out the fine detail but the new ones light up a lot more than the old ones.

Also between now and my last update I've treated myself to a personal reg, a new battery and a replacement heater/AC ECU as mine was getting worse and worse since that muppet damaged it!

16213944751_2b4e2abd55_o.jpg.077e75a02b83b394c584a23d27aa4f72.jpg

15595971123_920bf93203_o.jpg.71f34f37b3ce010e94ecaa4df8948788.jpg

Edited by longsh07

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Right I'm after some thoughts from you guys. Thought I'd start here but might have to make a separate post if this doesn't get much attention (I appreciate build threads are not everyone cup of tea).

----------------

TL:DR

Have two cars, 350 and MX5.

Currently - 350 is a daily - no track use. MX5 is also a daily but have taken on couple of track days. Trying to modify it to be a road legal track toy without loosing the creature comforts or making it awful to drive daily on the road.

Problem - 350 feels like its not being used properly but worried about damaging it.

Dilemma

Do I

- Sell 350, buy something useful all year round, track spec the MX5.

- Keep 350, get over myself and use it more often, track spec the MX5 but slap on winter tyres to keep the 350 safe in winter.

- Sell MX5, buy something more useful all year round , start tracking and track specing the 350.

- Something else.

----------------

So I have two cars, my GT4 350Z and a 2004 Mazda MX5

(http://www.350z-uk.c...icle-overnight/)

The 350 only ever gets driven to work and back, to the odd show/meet and when I just need to take it out for a blast to clear my head. I'm very precious about this car so I tend to avoid taking it where people could damage it (supermarket car parks etc).

The MX5 also gets driven to work and back every other week (I swap between the two), taken out when I have to go shopping etc and I've also taken it on a couple of track taster days. At the moment, my thought was to modify this car to make it into a track day toy but to try and retain the creature comforts and without making it awful to drive daily on the road. These two do not often go hand in hand so this is quite a challenge.

Unfortunately the 350 failed it last MOT on emissions and the numbers wouldn't go down even after a few minutes of reving to heat up the cats. Now I get that I've got HFC's so this was always a risk however the numbers were not going down at all so Ross suggested as I have a few days left on the old MOT I take it for a blast to clear our the cobwebs before it goes back for a retest.

This got me thinking that I'm clearly not using the 350 to its fullest if the exhaust is all coked up in under a year.

So now I really do have a dilemma rather than the made up one I used in the title of this thread to try and make it eye catching and interesting (I was always going to mod it no question ;))

My biggest issue is how precious I am about my 350. I don't like taking it to the shops for fear of door dents and I wont drive it in winter because

(a ) no winter tyres at the moment, but more importantly

(b ) most other drivers carry on driving like its nothing so I'm worried some idiot is going to hit me!

On top of everything its a GT4 too so I kind of feel like I need to be extra careful with it because they are so limited in number and I'd be ridiculed by the community for being a jack-ass with it if the worst did happen and it got written off.

At the same time I feel guilty that I have this beast and it is not being given the chance to be driven to its fullest. Basically I don't want to be the stereotype guy who has a Ferrari but it never leaves the garage because it might get dirty or it might get a stone chip or someone might scratch it so it never gets used for its intended purpose and no one gets to appreciate it.

This is where I need your opinions.

As I see it I have a few options.

• Swap 350 for something that can use all year round (was thinking Evo X maybe...?) and carry on turning the MX5 into a track/road rocket.
  • Get over myself - it is only a car after all, keep the 350 and keep modifying the MX5 then just slap on some winter tyres and deal with it maybe being a bit uncomfortable over winter.
  • Swap the MX5 for something more useful all year round and start using the 350 as a weekend/track day toy.

I appreciate the above is a bit of a ramble and I'm probably not looking at the big picture (after all I'm lucky enough to be able to run two cars at this stage in my life) but I'd hope that some of you understand how frustrating it can be to not know where to go with your hobby/passion.

Edited by longsh07

I think the problem is you not the car. You want to eat your cake and have it. Changing cars will not change a thing. you got to change yourself. Stop thinking about what people think and live your life to the fullest. They are only cars, drive it like you stole it, look after them properly, modify them as you see fit and you will be rewarded. If it doesn't work then it's not for you and then try a different platform until you find the one(s).

Btw I got 46/176 and hardly anything OEM left of it. I'm getting around to a full strip and go FI again and I have no guilt it's a GT4.

My second car is an M3 V8 but it's number 2. The work horse. I drive the zed under 6k miles year but each time is special. When I drive it's to connect with it, nothing else matters at that point. The other car is just a DD, comfortable, reliable and capable. No interest in modifying it.

• Like 2

Totally agree. I'd be the first to say "it's your car, do what you want" to anyone else even if I disagreed with their choice of style/modifications but somehow its always more difficult when its yourself.

It does make me feel better knowing I am not the only one to mod their GT4, especially as I probably wouldn't quite go the same extend you have! (All due respect by the way, I've seen the list of mods on your car and its like reading a parts catalogue!)

On a side note (and this may answer my own question) something I'd really like to do is improve my driving ability.

Being realistic about this, my nearest tracks are Silverstone and Bedford Autodrome so that's where I'll be spending most of my track time.

Now I could carry on tracking the MX5 but there will come a point where I cant learn anything more from the car and those tracks without spending thousands to up the power. I find the 350 handles quite like the MX5 on the road except with the obvious power advantage and weight disadvantage. So it makes me wonder if I could still learn/improve the same basic techniques in either car.

With that in mind the best course of action I believe would be to stop putting money into the MX5 and start using more as a daily drive. The money I'd save doing this could be put into doing some basic track mods to the 350 (oil cooler/baffled sump/better brake pads etc) or put to one side to replace the MX5 with something more practical.

Now we are getting somewhereðŸ‘

The mx5 will be adequate in squiring driving skills on the track. It has agood chassis and enough power but not like the zed which can get you into trouble if you don't know what you are doing.

The mx5 is cheap to run: tyres, brakes, pads, service, petrol etc and to modify to go well on the track. The other thing is the re-sell well.

If I where you and can afford it I'll get as much track time with the mx5 and keep improving it until a point where you need more power.

While going through the learning curve it will improve your confidence and enjoyment of the zed and at some point you can decide to sell the mx5 and turn the zed to your next track toy and get another daily driver or sell it for a more capable daily drive to match your new skills or sell both and get better platforms fir the same purpose. 1 for track and one for DD buy capable.

Bedford is a good place and wherever you go take advantage of cheap tuition or have an experienced co pilot around so you development is sped up.

FWIW a std zed with decent coilovers, ARB, droplinks, pads and tyres is very capable. The next stage is adjustable suspension parts and poly bushing. The only way from there is stripping +/- FI. Chasing NA power is a waste of time.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Not been an update on this for a while! Currently my car is with Japex having its P2 service and an MOT.

I've been having trouble with emissions with the Berk HFCs so I brought a pair of cobra HFCs second hand but no improvement .

Currently I've got Ross putting the stock cats back on to get it through the MOT but I would like to keep running the Berks if possible.

They are very very close to passing and both I and Mark at Abbey think it's down to the cats not being hot enough. I've got some exhaust wrap so as the Berks are off I'm going to wrap them and hope that keeps them just hot enough to pass.

Anyone else done this? Would be good to know if my thinking works or is at least accurate.