JDM Insurance

Jetpilot

I keep seeing peoples post with regard to import insurance and that it is more expensive. Someone even suggesting in another post it could be double :teeth: I wonder how many people have actually tried to insure an import or just perpetuating an internet myth, imho, which actually seems quite common on here.

So i thought i would do a check using my buddies uk registration to get a quote.

Like for like cars years, annual mileage.

The UK car came in £80 cheaper @ £331, however, that did not include the modifications mine has on its current policy (nismo kit, 19" alloys, exhaust, brakes) and insurance for 5 track days!! Even if you said those mods wouldnt increase the poilcy, £80 for 5 trackdays seems a bargain doesnt it??

£80 for 5 trackdays seems a bargain doesnt it??

Depends on the level of cover.

Sorry its 4 days, you have an approved trackday operator list but its pretty extensive and you also have to inform the company when you attend an event.

10% excess (minimum of £500) on any accidental damage or fire ;)

I am with Reis, anyway, the point of thread is more overall costs without getting into the bun fight that is insurance ;)

Sorry its 4 days, you have an approved trackday operator list but its pretty extensive and you also have to inform the company when you attend an event.

I am with Reis, anyway, the point of thread is more overall costs without getting into the bun fight that is insurance ;)

Just for your own car or someone else's too if you happen to take someone out with you?

Just for your own car or someone else's too if you happen to take someone out with you?

Think its just your own, will have a thorough read :)

It does also depend on the insurance company. For example; When I changed from a VR6 Golf to an Import Impreza WRX the insurance company I was with wouldn't insure me on the import. Shopped around at the time & got insurance from another company for the same as I was paying on the Golf. These where the days before Go-Compare and the like though so you had to spend ages ringing around to get quotes. Nowadays I do think it's a lot easier to find lower premiums and there are of course more companies out there that specialize in Import car insurance. I do believe insuring an import vehicle is more expensive still but nowhere near as bad as it used to be which is where the "myth" started. Just changing times that's all imo. :)