Anyone owned a Porsche Cayman?

stuarty

Went to Porsche Glasgow today to have a close look at the Cayman. £62k for a brand new Cayman s with PDK. £56k for a demonstrator with 3000 miles on the clock. Absolutely stunning machine but cant justify that price tag imo!

Really cant see why it would cost double the price of a new 370z. Anyway all there cars are 30% more expensive than anywhere else.

It's an OPC, what were you expecting? Discounts across the board?! :lol:

They're worth every penny. IMHO, of course. You don't really need the S, the 2.7 has more than enough grunt and a lovely sweet engine. Hold off on the options unless you desperately want them and you won't find a better car for the money :thumbs: If a 981 is out of reach, see if you can find a 987 R as they're sublime.

It's an OPC, what were you expecting? Discounts across the board?! :lol:

They're worth every penny. IMHO, of course. You don't really need the S, the 2.7 has more than enough grunt and a lovely sweet engine. Hold off on the options unless you desperately want them and you won't find a better car for the money :thumbs: If a 981 is out of reach, see if you can find a 987 R as they're sublime.

Whats your thoughts on the PDK?

It's an excellent piece of kit, it really is. Left in auto it'll get to 7th quick as, and return great MPG. Pop it into Sport auto (where I tend to leave it) and it's absolutely perfect, never caught out on gear and adapts all the time if you're pressing on or pootling. Sport Plus is just mental for the road and best left for the track, however Sport Plus and manual mode gives lightning-fast changes with the little thump in the back at WOT, and is how I drive the car when on a blat.

It can be a bit clunky on the very first 1-2 shift on a cold morning, but then the oil is stone cold so to be expected. Other than that, it's flawless. It's even quicker on the 9x1 cars.

It's an excellent piece of kit, it really is. Left in auto it'll get to 7th quick as, and return great MPG. Pop it into Sport auto (where I tend to leave it) and it's absolutely perfect, never caught out on gear and adapts all the time if you're pressing on or pootling. Sport Plus is just mental for the road and best left for the track, however Sport Plus and manual mode gives lightning-fast changes with the little thump in the back at WOT, and is how I drive the car when on a blat.

It can be a bit clunky on the very first 1-2 shift on a cold morning, but then the oil is stone cold so to be expected. Other than that, it's flawless. It's even quicker on the 9x1 cars.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of selling the wife's mini cooper that my son drives and giving them my z4 coupe. Then buying a cayman!

Ah, I see.

If it were my money then I'd definitely consider a manual 2.7 with some toys over a poverty spec 3.4 PDK, especially if buying from new. Just don't expect to get away with minimal depreciation on these! ;)

If you're interested, I'd consider the following to be a must-have:

PCM3 Sat nav

Sports seats Plus

Sport design steering wheel

Sports exhaust

Anything else would be down to taste (and any worry about resale value), but I wouldn't have a car without those.

Sadly no, only the CR. I'd like to have a go in one, but to get the most out of it you need to drive a version with no aircon, sat nav, leather etc else you're just putting weight back in and missing the point. For me, that's a Porsche I'd like to drive but not one I'd actually like to own. I like my toys in my Pork :blush:

Brave man buying a demo car, I know how the test drivers drive those things ;):lol:

If it's a manual then make sure you get a rev range read out before buying. They'll tell you it's unnecessary, but it will massively protect you in case you have issues later down the line. No need for that if you go PDK though.

If I was splashing 40k on a car getting dura metric is cheap insurance IMO. But if your buying it from Porsche you should be ok.

Durametric won't give you overrevs, you need the PIWIS for that and buying that is a bit pricier ;) I wouldn't trust PCGB as far as I can throw them with regards to backing someone on overrevs, so definitely get a readout before you take delivery of ANY manual car from any dealer, OPC or otherwise.

I was only kidding about buying a demo, it wouldn't put me off at all. A press car may be a different matter, mind you...

If I was splashing 40k on a car getting dura metric is cheap insurance IMO. But if your buying it from Porsche you should be ok.

Durametric won't give you overrevs, you need the PIWIS for that and buying that is a bit pricier ;) I wouldn't trust PCGB as far as I can throw them with regards to backing someone on overrevs, so definitely get a readout before you take delivery of ANY manual car from any dealer, OPC or otherwise.

I was only kidding about buying a demo, it wouldn't put me off at all. A press car may be a different matter, mind you...

I'm sure I can check over revs etc etc with durametric on a 986. I'll double check.