Help! Recurrence of o2 sensor EML - with new codes

Stutopia

Just went out for session 2 of track day, cars been standing in the rain for last hour or so, it was wet when I went out for first session this morning so taking it pretty easy, however, EML was thrown after a couple of warm up laps on second stint. iOBD2 reads fault codes:

P1147 & P1167 which I believe both to be "Heated O2 Sensor 2"

image_zpscaf455ff.jpg

Obviously I abandoned the session, and I've cleared the codes now, and left her to cool down. But she was driving/pulling fine when I noticed the lights and on my stroll back to the pits.

Is this just because there's no heat shield on the Berks?

Is it something I need to worry about?

Is she safe to drive home (circa 3 careful hours driving)?

Any help fully appreciated! Ta.

Edited by SuperStu

• 3 months later...

Thread revival!

On the way to work got another pesky EML, plugged in my trusty IOBD and returned the following:

P0139 - O2 sensor, slow response, bank 1 sensor 2

P0159 - O2 sensor, slow response, bank 2 sensor 2

P1146 - Heated O2 sensor 2

P1166 - Heated O2 sensor 2

P1147 - Heated O2 sensor 2

P1167 - Heated O2 sensor 2

I've seen the Heated O2 Sensor twice in the past about 1k miles apart, cleared, no problem. She runs perfect and sounds amazeballz. I'm running Berks HFC with a scorpion cat back, she's been uprevd.

Question is, I have some spacers to go on but not fitted yet, but this time the P0139 and P0159 codes are new entries. I think I know the answer, but does this mean I actually need to replace the O2 sensors this time? If so, would you add the O2 spacers at the same time?

PS - it was unusually cold this morning if that makes any difference to your thinking. Thanks!

Edited by SuperStu

Had similar problems with mine near Christmas mate.

I cleaned all 4 sensors

Cleaned MAF

Checked for leaks in the exhaust/intake

Took the car to Jez @ Horsham and he said the A/F ration was fine. Turned some codes off via the Uprev and its now fine.

If the codes relate to the rear sensors like yours its fine but the fronts are the ones you have to worry about. Its highly unlikely both would go at the same time.

Had similar problems with mine near Christmas mate.

I cleaned all 4 sensors

Cleaned MAF

Checked for leaks in the exhaust/intake

Took the car to Jez @ Horsham and he said the A/F ration was fine. Turned some codes off via the Uprev and its now fine.

If the codes relate to the rear sensors like yours its fine but the fronts are the ones you have to worry about. Its highly unlikely both would go at the same time.

By rears I'm assuming you mean on the cats? Where are the front ones?

• 2 weeks later...

Thread revival!

On the way to work got another pesky EML, plugged in my trusty IOBD and returned the following:

I've seen the Heated O2 Sensor twice in the past about 1k miles apart, cleared, no problem. She runs perfect and sounds amazeballz. I'm running Berks HFC with a scorpion cat back, she's been uprevd.

Question is, I have some spacers to go on but not fitted yet, but this time the P0139 and P0159 codes are new entries. I think I know the answer, but does this mean I actually need to replace the O2 sensors this time? If so, would you add the O2 spacers at the same time?

PS - it was unusually cold this morning if that makes any difference to your thinking. Thanks!

I get 4 of the same codes as yourself P1146 P1166 P1147 P1167,

these come up fairly frequently, sometimes not all of them at once.

I also have berks hfcs, a scorpion, and an Uprev.

From what I have read it is safe to run, but spacers may help?

Thread revival!

I get 4 of the same codes as yourself P1146 P1166 P1147 P1167,

these come up fairly frequently, sometimes not all of them at once.

I also have berks hfcs, a scorpion, and an Uprev.

From what I have read it is safe to run, but spacers may help?

I've not got my spacers fitted :( my tech had some issues fitting them (if you can believe that!) so I'm currently trying to get booked in with my usual guy to see if he can sort it.

I am hopeful that if I can get the spacers on, this will put it to bed. If you do pick some spacers up and it resolves your codes (as expected) I'd be very grateful if you post up on here, given we have the same set up.

On the positive side I have no evidence to suggest it's causing issues beyond the irritating EML and the O2 sensors are getting lightly toasted due to the extra heat.

Spacers usually help a fair bit but on the coldest days and sometimes after a spirited drive you may still get the codes.

As said, as long as it's the sensor 2 codes and the car runs Ok, there isn't much to worry about.

If you want them off permanently, pop back to whoever uprev'd it and they can plug it in and turn them off in minutes.

Spacers usually help a fair bit but on the coldest days and sometimes after a spirited drive you may still get the codes.

As said, as long as it's the sensor 2 codes and the car runs Ok, there isn't much to worry about.

If you want them off permanently, pop back to whoever uprev'd it and they can plug it in and turn them off in minutes.

Yes, I would but it's the other end of the country sadly.

Also I can't believe anyone would have issues fitting them.

It's a 20min driveway job at most if you can get a jack under the car and use a spanner.

Totally agree, but on this occasion I wasn't there to see for myself, so I can only go on what's been advised to me. I don't have the equipment to get under it safely myself at home to have a proper look. I'm trying to get into my usual tech, but he's very busy.

I got my car remapped at abbey, would I be able to take it to TDi North who also do the Uprev (which is closer to me) to get the codes turned off?

I worry that another fault code may be hidden that may be more serious when i get lazy checking and deleting the codes