BRAKE PADS WANTED: but which ones?

Zzzz...

OK I am going to buy some brake pads, so I want advice from TRADERS and USERS who have had more than one different type of NON OEM pad on their car e.g Red stuff and Ferodo DS2500..

My options are

RED STUFF (Which are currently the cheapest)

FERODO DS2500 (Which are same brand as OEM but higher grade)

ENDLESS Vita Nuova (3rd party performance part , but not a lot known...)

I am always very paranoid about something that claims TOP performance and has the cheapest price... There must be a compromise in there somewhere, and if I don't know what it is it makes me very dubious...

but at the same time I prefer to pay the best price, so long as I am happy with the overall picture for the part.

I don't want to start TRADE-WARS between different sellers or users...but i would like to get the pro's and con's for each product as much as possible...

If I have the pro's and CON's I will be more likely to go with those options than one where I only know the PRO's

I'll be honest... currently i want to go with ferodo out of piece of mind in my head...but am i paying a lot for what i can get with red stuff?

sorry for the long winded explanation...

let the debate begin...

THANKS

I have had the OE, redstuff and the ferodo's :thumbs:

OE = total rubbish but last forever.

Redstuff & Ferodo are similar performance wise in that they are a zillion times better than OE. Both are good from cold and inspire a bit more confidence than the OE ones. The Ferodo's are currently covering my volks in loads a brake dust which is doing my head in :dry: The Ferodo's edge it performance wise in my opinion but are not worth the added cost imo. Next time I'll be buying Redstuffs* :)

*If there is a next time :blush:

thanks guys ...

yes i am thinking at the initial stages of living with new pads the first impression will be of a step up compared to previous...

Sarnie seems to have the edge on experience here as he has had a few pads ... thanks ! (did i just say Sarnie is helpfull!?!?!?! :p )

The dust bit I can live with, I assume that extra dust means that the pad is shedding it.. therefore material wear must be greater than RED STUFF,

but so long as the performance is consistently better over the life of the pad, I am happy with that...

even if it does not last as long as Red stuff...

as for MinteX yes... i am reseaching these to find out a bit more about them... but I guess mintex are not going to show the negatives of these very new parts ... :blush:

As Sarnie has said Redstuff better than OEM but also harsher on the disc.

Ferodo DS2500 is a widely acclaimed pad which gives outstanding performance consistently,especially on track, something the redstuff cannot cope with.

Mintex Extreme is basically rebranded 1144 and sits in between the redstuff and Ferodo in terms of performance but again is a little harsh.

As a trader we supply all brands.

From a financial point of view as a seller I would push EBC all day long as we make more money out of them but hand on heart as far as performance is concerned the DS2500 wins hands down.

We do road test all products before we offer them for sale, always sceptical on sales pitch.

Thanks all

thanks for the advice guys...

I am looking at the project mu

and the TYPE HC+ (plus)

has a similar friction coefficient to the ds2500 and red stuff...

now need to know what is bad about them...

the mintex seem good as well

but i am guessing disc wear will be greater...

hummmm

big phil, how long have you run any of the pads you sell ? do you replace them early to check other products or do you run them till they die?

Every day usage

Countryside roads, speeds around 70mph , and when i am in germany ( :blush: ) tendo to use the motorway, sorry autobahn, around 80-100mph.

However living near milton keynes, I have experienced brake fade on all my previous cars including this one!!!

(Basically part of a regular route i do... is around 4.5 miles and 12 roundabouts roughly divided into quarter miles straights and roundabouts, which require accel out of the roundabout, get up to speed, then hard on the late braking... round the roundabout, accel hard back up to speed , then hard late brake etc...

all this within 70 mph of course...

After the 8 th roundabout the brakes start to get a little hot...

If I can get a Street biased pad with a high-ish "mu" coeficcient (0.4-0.5) and good performance at normal operating temperature ranges (i guess 80% of all my driving) , but capable of preventing brake fade at high temperature for 10-20% of their usefull driven life... I'll be happy.

I think the performance of the red stuff is just fine for road use - I am using them with SS lines and motul 5.1 and I haven't had any problems with either cold breaking or fade yet (and I don't potter about!). I expect for the track I would need something else though..

Thanks all

thanks for the advice guys...

I am looking at the project mu

and the TYPE HC+ (plus)

has a similar friction coefficient to the ds2500 and red stuff...

now need to know what is bad about them...

the mintex seem good as well

but i am guessing disc wear will be greater...

hummmm

big phil, how long have you run any of the pads you sell ? do you replace them early to check other products or do you run them till they die?

We generally run the pads for a couple of thousad miles but always include some track work as well, the exception to this being with the Ferodo as we now run those solely.

ok I think DS2500, peurely on the fact it is european, developed and is an upgraded version of the OEM...

red stuff will probably do the job very well actually, but i am worried about the effect on the discs... maybe just paranoid, but an agressive track marketed pad, with low dust reports etc. means the pad is not shedding material, which I guess must be forcing the discs to shed a bit more material...for heat I think I might upgrade to 5.1 at the same time... just to be over cautious

I have not got enough information on the other pads to make an informed decision...

Thanks all ... I need them pretty quick so I am going to go with the Ferodo Pads... I think they'll be the best overall

ok I think DS2500, peurely on the fact it is european, developed and is an upgraded version of the OEM...

red stuff will probably do the job very well actually, but i am worried about the effect on the discs... maybe just paranoid, but an agressive track marketed pad, with low dust reports etc. means the pad is not shedding material, which I guess must be forcing the discs to shed a bit more material...for heat I think I might upgrade to 5.1 at the same time... just to be over cautious

I have not got enough information on the other pads to make an informed decision...

Thanks all ... I need them pretty quick so I am going to go with the Ferodo Pads... I think they'll be the best overall

If you are going to change fluid your best option is the Motul RBF600

3x500mls is £30. We also have the Goodridge braided lines at £95.

All kept in stock