Spark plug replacement

GC350z

Thought I'd share this with all.

While at the Nissan garage today to book the Z in for a service next week I asked how much it'd be. Service manager pointed to a figure on a notice and said it'd be about that but could be more as the spark plugs may need replacing and are about €120 each. I smiled and said I don't think so. Booked car in for next week and went about my business. According to service manual platinum tipped plugs should be replaced every 105,000 miles. My car has a grand total of 14,500 miles on it.

Should be an interesting conversion next Friday.

Guest prescience

stock platinum retail for £59 for 6 from www.spark-plugs.co.uk - NGK spec PLFR5A11 :thumbs:

And you're right you they don't need changing regularly anyway (unless you are F/I which is another story) but I thought they were a replaceable at 54k miles service?

Yes i think it is 54k and the only possible explanation the dealer could give you for trying to change the plugs and charge you for it

( apart from his name being "rawhide corral dealers") is that due to the fuel quality in Ireland the plugs get dirty quicker...

you can tell them that unless ireland is exporting eastern european watered down fuel , he can go a take a hike... I cannot believe with 14500miles the spark plugs would be this damaged... :dry:

"a cargo of testiclae" to put it politely... me thinks...

Did mine myself as soon as I got the car.

Wrote a thread for the technical section with pics if I remember right. Took a couple of hours as I had not worked on the Zed before but it was easy.

I am not sure but I think the plugs were £10 or £12 each.

Ming the Spannerman

Why change them with stock platinum plugs?!...i thought iridium spark plugs are the best for any performance vehicle..

I had already purchased standard plugs when I serviced the car. I did not know what was in and so took out those in and replaced them with the new ones.

It was only afterwards that I realised what had come out!!

:blush:

The point of this thread though was the ease of replacement.

Ming the Spanner friendly

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Can someone clarify what the stock plug is - is it platinum or iridium?

Bare in mind my zed is a late 02 model JDM

Sorry to bump this thread again, but my car is going in for a service soon and I too was wondering whether or not to change the plugs. It's an early '03 JDM with 36000 miles. Any advice as to whether it's advisable to change them?

Also, what's the difference between platinum- and iridium-tipped plugs? Are iridium ones supposed to be better? I notice on the site mentioned above that the iridium plugs are a bit cheaper (£7.49 as opposed to £8.39 each)

Sorry to bump this thread again, but my car is going in for a service soon and I too was wondering whether or not to change the plugs. It's an early '03 JDM with 36000 miles. Any advice as to whether it's advisable to change them?

Also, what's the difference between platinum- and iridium-tipped plugs? Are iridium ones supposed to be better? I notice on the site mentioned above that the iridium plugs are a bit cheaper (£7.49 as opposed to £8.39 each)

The iridium plugs suit the car much better £6.50 each for Denso and kept n stock.

The iridium plugs suit the car much better £6.50 each for Denso and kept n stock.

Thanks, Phil - might be in touch again soon. :thumbs: