Failed MOT!!!

Plex

Hi guys

This is why it failed...

Reason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate

Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive (7.3.D.4)

Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content at idle excessive (7.3.D.5)

Where would you guys start? My check engine light used to stay on so I bought spacers from Alex. This kinda fixed the problem. It did come back on from time to time but didn't stay on. Now the car has failed it's mot. Help!

Cheers

First option would be have a wee look underneath and see if there are cats in there. If you're not sure what you're looking do you know the guy you bought it from? is there anything in the service hx or receipts for new cats? If the car was on standard cats it would be less likely to be a problem for MOT.

If you have high flow cats on make sure the guy doing the testing is aware so the car can be taken out to warm them up before testing as soon as possible otherwise it will fail the test. I had to do this with my Berks after they were fitted.

I am guessing it would not pass if it had decats as its a mot fail and the fact he needs a spacer suggests its some form of aftermarket cats.

I would try a tin of Cataclean before you do anything drastic and perhaps identify what you have for the masses to offer more help/ :)

Thanks for all the responses guys. Really helpful. I'm thinking of taking it to a high performance garage as Neilp suggested to get it looked at. I'm in Wootton Bedfordshire. Anyone local to me that can point in the right direction?

Edited by Plex