About to purchase a 350z, any certian checks to do?

Rocky4510

Initially I was thinking you might be ok; then:

- I studied the feedback in detail going back over previous years and it's not quite as perfect as it first appears (having said that it's not terrible either)

- You said he issued a cancellation saying someone offered more after the sale (that is not exactly cricket is it)

- There are one or two other question marks you have already referred to

I just think there are maybe a few too many warning bells ringing. There are a lot of Zeds out there.

PS. Good luck whatever you decide to do. I have bought quite a few cars from Ebay with good success so far but I try and look for sellers/items where no obvious question marks exist.

Edited by NeilMH

Initially I was thinking you might be ok; then:

- I studied the feedback in detail going back over previous years and it's not quite as perfect as it first appears (having said that it's not terrible either)

- You said he issued a cancellation saying someone offered more after the sale (that is not exactly cricket is it)

- There are one or two other question marks you have already referred to

I just think there are maybe a few too many warning bells ringing. There are a lot of Zeds out there.

PS. Good luck whatever you decide to do. I have bought quite a few cars from Ebay with good success so far but I try and look for sellers/items where no obvious question marks exist.

Thanks. I know I've commited to buy it via eBay, but if i go and look at it tomorrow and find an obvious fault, am i within my right to turn around and say i dont want it, im off? (even without viewing the car before commiting to buy)

Never brought a car off eBay before which is why my minds all over the place >.<

I may have misunderstood this but:

1. I believe you offered to pay 5115

2. The Seller then issued a cancellation notice to you (he has told you he received a subsequent offer of 5250)

3. Although a higher offer is not a legitimate reason for issuing a cancellation notice you could just accept the cancellation notice and legitimately end the transaction with no issue

Or have I missed something. If you search on cancellation notice on ebay you will see how to proceed.

Yep, i won the auction at £5115. I then questioned a few things about the service pattern and why he potentially lied about the ammount of previous owners and he explained it all, aswell as saying if i dont want to buy the car or cant afford it then he will send me a cancelation form and he will sell it to the other bidder (who aparently offered £5250 after i won), before i replied to that he had allready sent the cancelation but i told him that im still intrested, as long as their is no faults with the car as described.

My plan is to contact him tomorrow to tell him that i would like to test drive the car and have a good look at it before paying, if the car is how its described with no knocks/rattles and no obvious issue with the engine then i will continue with the purchase and hopefully we will both be happy!

OK - well technically you are committed now; your opportunity to cancel was given and you have declined, which equally commits him to sell it to you. Having said that, the worst that can happen (if you pull out) is you get negative feedback on Ebay. Not as bad as being a Syrian refugee, for example.

I wish you well. You may get lucky. Look forward to hearing what happened.

I haven't yet declined the cancelation, there's still 3 days left to answer. So if he doesn't agree with me having a test drive and a good look at the car tomorrow to make sure he's not hiding anything, I will tell him to stuff it and accept the cancelation lol.

Thanks for your advice, I will post the outcome.

You eon the offer and then he says you were outbid? Sounds like he is playing outside of eBay rules. Personally I think there is something wrong here - I would be walking the other way.

You will find another Sunset GT maybe not with the Alezan seats but they come up quite often and somebody who has them and doesn't like them would probably bite your hand off for a swap with black set...

Yep, i won the auction at £5115. I then questioned a few things about the service pattern and why he potentially lied about the ammount of previous owners and he explained it all, aswell as saying if i dont want to buy the car or cant afford it then he will send me a cancelation form and he will sell it to the other bidder (who aparently offered £5250 after i won), before i replied to that he had allready sent the cancelation but i told him that im still intrested, as long as their is no faults with the car as described.

My plan is to contact him tomorrow to tell him that i would like to test drive the car and have a good look at it before paying, if the car is how its described with no knocks/rattles and no obvious issue with the engine then i will continue with the purchase and hopefully we will both be happy!

AS I SAID ...DON'T WALK AWAY....RUN....!!!! :please: :please: :please:

• Like 1

Regardless of right to cancel or not and all the E-Bay stuff. You asked what is the worst that could happen, simple answer loose all your money.

Advice from everyone on the forum is theres plenty Zeds out there if you don't buy that one. If it is as good as the seller says he will have no problems selling it either.

Look mate - it sounds like you're a bit young (not trying to be rude) and you're very worried about spending £5k on a car you've not seen and you're a bit dubious about.

SO YOU SHOULD BE!!!!!

Never - I repeat NEVER offer to buy a car you haven't checked out personally.

£5k may be a lot of money for you.

I reckon the seller is being quite adult about the whole thing. He's taking your hesitancy on board and saying, "Ok, I'll sell it to someone else then." Can I suggest that you cancel as soon as you can and try to find a Zed that you can go and see BEFORE making an offer.

I completely understand your impatience - I'm like it myself - but, as other people have said. there are plenty of other Zeds out there and one will come up soon. If you really can't wait for a new set of wheels then just get something to see you by until the right Zed comes along. They are worth waiting for because they're such beautiful cars.

Cancel and let this bloke sell to someone else.

Look mate - it sounds like you're a bit young (not trying to be rude) and you're very worried about spending £5k on a car you've not seen and you're a bit dubious about.

SO YOU SHOULD BE!!!!!

Never - I repeat NEVER offer to buy a car you haven't checked out personally.

£5k may be a lot of money for you.

I reckon the seller is being quite adult about the whole thing. He's taking your hesitancy on board and saying, "Ok, I'll sell it to someone else then." Can I suggest that you cancel as soon as you can and try to find a Zed that you can go and see BEFORE making an offer.

I completely understand your impatience - I'm like it myself - but, as other people have said. there are plenty of other Zeds out there and one will come up soon. If you really can't wait for a new set of wheels then just get something to see you by until the right Zed comes along. They are worth waiting for because they're such beautiful cars.

Cancel and let this bloke sell to someone else.

I think you've hit the nail on the head tbh, I will keep looking for another one and cancel this one, i should have done my research before bidding but i just got too impatient!

Thanks for everyones advice, muchly apperciated.

• Like 1

Thanks for the appreciation mate - If you tell us roughly where you are there may be someone local to you who would be prepared to come along if you want help when looking at a Zed. If you're local to me I'd be more than happy to give you some help, because I can see you're keen. I'm in Herts.

Anyway - I wish you luck.

This has got a bit silly now. The seller is clearly a bit of a wheeler dealer, so what? He bought the car a few weeks back for an excellent price and is trying to sell at a profit. From the previous eBay ad, the car looked well looked after and appeared to be being sold by a genuine person. This guy who sold it a few weeks back is the one who has been looking after it, using it, servicing it etc etc, not the wheeler dealer. You have an option to cancel, you have an agreed price, go look at the car as if it was just an advert on Autotrader. If you like it and it's sound, then buy it, if it's not, walk away.

There is no point what so ever walking away at this point as the seller has done nothing wrong. He isn't trying to get more money out of you when he mentioned the other bidder, he simply said something like, "thats fine, if you don't take it I have someone else to buy it." He would actually be happy if you dropped out, because if you did, he'd make another £100.

So don't run scared because of what everyone here is saying. Go look at the thing, it's most likely perfectly fine. The VQ35DE engine is pretty solid, so if there is anything wrong with it, you'll probably know it. :thumbs:

Its the usual story isn`t.

You won the auction and got yerself a bargain.

Now your worried because of a few things you failed to check out first.

You dont want to walk away because you know its a bargain but there is your problem.

Bottom line is mate your trying to buy a car you cant affiord.

Save up a couple more grand and pay the correct money then your`ll be able to buy one from a reputable source.

Oh.yeah....you want a bargain....and round it goes again.

Put yourself in his shoes.....You won it so pay yer money and buy it.

This has got a bit silly now. The seller is clearly a bit of a wheeler dealer, so what? He bought the car a few weeks back for an excellent price and is trying to sell at a profit. From the previous eBay ad, the car looked well looked after and appeared to be being sold by a genuine person. This guy who sold it a few weeks back is the one who has been looking after it, using it, servicing it etc etc, not the wheeler dealer. You have an option to cancel, you have an agreed price, go look at the car as if it was just an advert on Autotrader. If you like it and it's sound, then buy it, if it's not, walk away.

There is no point what so ever walking away at this point as the seller has done nothing wrong. He isn't trying to get more money out of you when he mentioned the other bidder, he simply said something like, "thats fine, if you don't take it I have someone else to buy it." He would actually be happy if you dropped out, because if you did, he'd make another £100.

So don't run scared because of what everyone here is saying. Go look at the thing, it's most likely perfectly fine. The VQ35DE engine is pretty solid, so if there is anything wrong with it, you'll probably know it. :thumbs:

I get what you're saying and that is the other thing thats been going through my head, but its the little things hes obviously lied about like the previous owners, his discription included " I have parted with a lot of cash keeping her up to spec, performance and looking beautiful." thats telling me to run away and that I've made a stupid mistake in bidding on the car before researching it properly.

The previous seller actually got back to me last night and confirmed the previous owners was 6 and that he also got the car through px and did'nt get time to check the car over properly.

I cant view the car until 7pm onwards cause of work and the distance, which would mean viewing it in the dark, so its not ideal really.

Originally I would have been with KyleR but I just think there are too many question marks now. The beauty is you can walk away from this now with no harm done just by accepting the cancellation notice. I am sure you will feel better if you do that.