9.5j et35 all round my zed

Jared350z

After alot of looking around and speakin to some really helpful guys I have finally I gone a bought a set of ultralite nurburgring wheels. Well I got 5 of them one as a spare, got a really good deal from my friend julian at garage D. Like it says above im gonna be running 9.5j's all round with et35. I haven't put them on yet as I'm out of the country but can anyone tell me anything I need to look out for before I learn the hard way ha ha.

Also what tires do you recommend?

Cheers guys

There shouldn't be any issue as the rolling radius won't be that much different.

I used to have those wheels they were really nice and will look awesome on the Z.

Tyres I would say Michelin Pilot Sports like above or the latest offering from Toyo. Those guys seem to do really good road tyres

• Like 2

Wheel widths can be the same, tyre widths must be different. Even if the traction control is happy with you running same width tyres, you won't be as the car will be massively prone to oversteer.

What size are the wheels? You won't be able to run stock sizes on 9.5" wheels on the front, 235 is the lowest you should go really.

I have an import so don't have to worry about the wheels fitting over the callipers. I'll just run smaller tires on the front, possibly stretched and wide as I can go on the rear. That should cure the problem of the traction control, plus I done love a bit of oversteer. :)

glad to hear the wheels will look good on my zed. Will post pics when fitted.

You really shouldn't run tyres outside of the manufacturer's spec, as it's just asking for trouble.

But no, I was referring to the width of the tyres, not the profile. If you run 235 on the front, then run 255 on the back, you keep the 20mm stagger and stay inside the manufacturer recommendations. :)

• Like 1

Wheel widths can be the same, tyre widths must be different. Even if the traction control is happy with you running same width tyres, you won't be as the car will be massively prone to oversteer.

What size are the wheels? You won't be able to run stock sizes on 9.5" wheels on the front, 235 is the lowest you should go really.

They are 18's and you mean stock size tires?

You really shouldn't run tyres outside of the manufacturer's spec, as it's just asking for trouble.

But no, I was referring to the width of the tyres, not the profile. If you run 235 on the front, then run 255 on the back, you keep the 20mm stagger and stay inside the manufacturer recommendations. :)

Thats a wicked bit of information I'll do just that. I didnt know about the 20mm part. Every day is a school day.Thanks bro

the car will be massively prone to oversteer.

Whats wrong with oversteer?

Thats a wicked bit of information I'll do just that. I didnt know about the 20mm part. Every day is a school day.Thanks bro

doesnt have to be 20mm it is OEM, but on my LMGt4 i had 225 on the front 255 on the rear no issue at all, ive also ran 245 front and 275 rear with no issue (only issue caused was when moving to a lower profile on the 245), Traction control more works on rolling radius than tyre width as it works but working the travel speed of each wheel out then it notices one wheel spinning out of sequence with the other it will apply brakes etc to bring them all in line again.

I could have a 215 up front and a 315 in the rear as long as the rolling radius is in line with each other via the profiles Traction control wont have an issue

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1

the car will be massively prone to oversteer.

Whats wrong with oversteer?

doesnt have to be 20mm it is OEM, but on my LMGt4 i had 225 on the front 255 on the rear no issue at all, ive also ran 245 front and 275 rear with no issue (only issue caused was when moving to a lower profile on the 245), Traction control more works on rolling radius than tyre width as it works but working the travel speed of each wheel out then it notices one wheel spinning out of sequence with the other it will apply brakes etc to bring them all in line again.

I could have a 215 up front and a 315 in the rear as long as the rolling radius is in line with each other via the profiles Traction control wont have an issue

So as long as I run 18's front and back with the same profile, like 40 /40 ect I should be ok? am I right?

the aspect ratio isnt a fixed dimension... a 275 / 35 doesnt have the same height sidewall as a 225 / 35 for instance.

the aspect ratio is a percentage of the tread width, in this case 35% of the tread width, its not unusual to have tyres of not only different sizes but different aspect ratios from front to back

you need to work out the rolling radius of your current set up then adjust the width and aspect ratio of your new setup to be close to the original so as not to upset the TCS

• Like 1

all that said... 245 on a 9.5j rim might be a bit stretched....

255 / 40 / 18 front 275 / 40 / 18 rear

front rolling radius

330.60mm 2077.22 circumference

rear rolling radius

338.60mm 2127.48 circumference

difference

50.26 circumference 2.42%

almost bang on the same rolling radius as stock rays too

Edited by SteveM

looking at it you might think about going for 245 / 40 / 18 front and 265 / 40 / 18 rear

front rolling radius

326.6mm 2052.09 circumference

rear rolling radius

334.60mm 2102.35 circumference

difference

50.26 circumference 2.45%

pretty close

AH I see I'll probably go for the 245/40/18 on the front and 265/40/18 on the rear, I like them sizes and it seems the safer way to go. I dont wanna have to much grip at the back as I do have a tendancy to have a skid now and then, only when its safe ofcorse :)

Cheers for the info and time to explain. I'm all set to buy them now and get them on, cant wait!!!!

@StevoD: No harm in increasing the stagger, all you do is make the car more prone to understeer which is the safer option. Most manufacturers set their cars up this way with regards to other suspension settings from the factory, stops numpties binning their cars as they drive out of the dealership :)

Nowt wrong with increasing the likelihood of oversteer either, so long as you know what you're doing and what to expect. It's just not a great idea to do it via tyre widths as it promotes snap oversteer: Much better to do it subtly with toe, camber, ARB and pressure alterations, IMHO.

@StevoD: No harm in increasing the stagger, all you do is make the car more prone to understeer which is the safer option. Most manufacturers set their cars up this way with regards to other suspension settings from the factory, stops numpties binning their cars as they drive out of the dealership :)

Nowt wrong with increasing the likelihood of oversteer either, so long as you know what you're doing and what to expect. It's just not a great idea to do it via tyre widths as it promotes snap oversteer: Much better to do it subtly with toe, camber, ARB and pressure alterations, IMHO.

Hearing you say that what tire setp up would you suggest knowing what size wheels I have? Be interesting to hear

I'd go with what Steve said, 245/40/18 F and 265/40/18 R, they're as close as you're likely to get but then that's assuming you can get tyres in those sizes: I don't know how common they'll be, if I'm honest.

Im lucky enough to have friends who are pro drifters that have tire sponsors so Im sure I'll be able to get them.