new braided clutch line, but hardpipe nut rounded off... help!

wideboy

Hi Guys,

As above, was experiencing the dreaded 'floppy pedal', put in new HP fluid and new slave, but when I came to fit the new braided line the nut on the hardpipe wouldn't move and is now pretty rounded (despite using flexi head flare nut spanner) so still running with old rubber line.

On the plus side, the clutch pedal feels 80% better, but when hot that 20% really bugs me.

Any top tips? Already tried Wd40, reluctant to use heat and don't want to mangle it any more than it is already...

Or it is just mole grips to get it off and then hope it tightens enough not to leak afterwards, or cut the pipe and re-flare a new nut on there? Or just live with it?!

Cheers

Wideboy

Had the same floppy pedal problem, got the kit from Zmanalex on here and fearing what has happened to you I took myself

and the car off to Japex to fit them, they also did my drive belts and boot gas struts at the same time, all for a hours labour,

well worth it, job done with no "agro".. :thumbs:

Japex did mine along with my P3 service.

They also had problems with the nut so and suggested I booked it in a week later for them to replace the pipe. When I took it back they gave it another crack and managed to get it off (thanks to soaking it in penetrating oil the previous week) so no need to replace the pipe. They also refused to take payment for replacing the hose, throwing the fitting in with the P3 service cost.

A bit late now for penetrating oil but Japex could make you up a new hard pipe no problem :thumbs:

Edited by longsh07

Where are you based Wideboy?

Any good penetrating oil - leave overnight and try again - a little heat may help but that's usually a last resort - be careful if you shorten the pipe (put a new flange on) it needs to reach the holder.

That piece of hard pipe is only about 10" - 12" long it then goes into a valve - so easy to replace if needs be :)

Up in 'sunny' Aberdeen. Never even heard of Plus gas releasing fluid! Will have a wee look and stock up.

Does it matter if it fits in the holder, or can I just cable tie it so it doesn't rattle around...

Any idea if you can buy the pipe joint pre-made or would I need to use the old one as a template?

If its anything like brake lines which I imagine it will be they are pretty easy to make up. Just need to get the right tool to flare the pipe, some unions and a roll of copper pipe which I would guess is 3/16ths?

Edit. It would be better to have it clipped in tight as the joins are quite heavy and thus can vibrate around quite a lot!

Edited by longsh07