Advice please

hensh65

Hey guys,

Just sick of the sight of the standard 18" wheels. Really do absolute nothing for the car!

Anyways i am planning on purchasing some alloys this friday when the pennys come in. Not want to break the bank so i have decided that i will get 18" and swap the tyres over to the new alloys as they are all got life left!

Looking at spending about £400 and these are the set i am thinking about getting.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=271254402170

I know i could get rays for around tht money but they dont personally float my boat as id imagine these might not be everyones taste.

Looking at the sizes for these wheels will i need to get spacers as i have brembos?

Also will i be able to swap my tyres onto these?

Running 245/45/18 and 225/45/18

Cheers

Kris

Check the weights of them - you generally in this world get what you pay for, cheap alloys tend to weigh a ton and can throw your handling out the window. Personally I would get wheels also with the right offsets that clear the calipers, never been a fan of lobbing a chunk of metal between the car and the wheel. There are plenty of options that will fit without the need for spacers, check with the traders on here for advice.

I am not fussed about getting light weight alloys as I seriously doubt those alloys are any heavier than the standard so at worst my handling will be as bad as it is. If I was swapping rays for them then I would 100% see it would be ridiculous.

What is the ideal offset I am looking for front and back ?

The Rays are pretty light anyway, I think about 8kgs each. You only have to add a couple of Kgs to this to totally throw out your handling and reduce your acceleration. I wasn't saying get expensive lightweight alloys, I was saying don't buy something heavier than you already got. If you value looks over your current performance then by all means go for it but I would definitely get them to send you the weights of these before buying. That's my tuppence worth anyway.

And be prepared to dodge potholes like a man with bubonic plague trying to french kiss you. Cheap alloys are normally cheap for a reason.

There's hundreds of people complaining about rota's and their apparently weak structure (I say apparently as I've not broken any myself) and you'll be looking at £800 for some rota's.

If you want different wheels for not too much money, look elsewhere in the brand and at other brands. You can buy OEM wheels for not too much and you know they'll take a hit should anything happen, look at Mazda for some nice wheels, the Rx-8 anniversary edition had some beautiful wheels which you can pick up for about £300 a set, they're light too. Any brand which use a 5x114(.3 if you're being fussy) stud pattern will have a nice set of wheels which you could pick up.

I know its way over your budget, but I got a set of Volks Racing alloys with new Falken tyres on them for £1k off someone on here. Worth hanging on and putting up with the ugly ones and grabbing yourself a bargain when they come along.

The Rays are pretty light anyway, I think about 8kgs each. You only have to add a couple of Kgs to this to totally throw out your handling and reduce your acceleration. I wasn't saying get expensive lightweight alloys, I was saying don't buy something heavier than you already got. If you value looks over your current performance then by all means go for it but I would definitely get them to send you the weights of these before buying. That's my tuppence worth anyway.

Sorry mate I didn't mean it coming accross arsey, was just saying the my touring wheels will probably be around the same weight as these cheaper alloys, I am not as 100% on them if the offset is out as rather than spending £200 on spacers to get them to look ok I would rather just put it on the alloys in the first place ! ! :)

And be prepared to dodge potholes like a man with bubonic plague trying to french kiss you. Cheap alloys are normally cheap for a reason.

There's hundreds of people complaining about rota's and their apparently weak structure (I say apparently as I've not broken any myself) and you'll be looking at £800 for some rota's.

If you want different wheels for not too much money, look elsewhere in the brand and at other brands. You can buy OEM wheels for not too much and you know they'll take a hit should anything happen, look at Mazda for some nice wheels, the Rx-8 anniversary edition had some beautiful wheels which you can pick up for about £300 a set, they're light too. Any brand which use a 5x114(.3 if you're being fussy) stud pattern will have a nice set of wheels which you could pick up.

Cheers mate, I want to avoid OEM look tbh. I could go for rays and probably see better performance in the car but I have accepted there is no way I will get performance and looks for the money I want to pay. I was hoping to pick something up second hand as I might get more for my money but nothing came up when I posted up about it! I will look at the mazda wheels though as I am not sure I have seen them before :teeth:

Cheers mate, I want to avoid OEM look tbh. I could go for rays and probably see better performance in the car but I have accepted there is no way I will get performance and looks for the money I want to pay. I was hoping to pick something up second hand as I might get more for my money but nothing came up when I posted up about it! I will look at the mazda wheels though as I am not sure I have seen them before :teeth:

Just checked and they are 19's :lol: this is what they look like for reference though :teeth:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-RX8-R3-19-ALLOY-WHEEL-X-2-VERY-GOOD-CONDITION-RARE-/190875848558?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item2c71164f6e

Edited by Dedman

They're almost certainly heavier than OEM, 0.5" wider front and 1.5" on the rear, that's a good couple of kg per wheel, plus another kg for each spacer adds up to quite a lot.

You'll be looking for an offset of about +20mm for a 9.5" front and 10.5" rear, +10mm for 8.5"/9.5" ideally but +20mm will look ok.

I got them wheels! So far, no problems :) you can see few pics in my build thread!

Look nice with GM, what size of spacers are you running ? what tyres you got on them ? what was the weight like between the touring wheels and them ?

They are pretty sweet :) I would love 19" but I have bout new tyres not too long ago so would feel like a waste of money.

Just checked and they are 19's :lol: this is what they look like for reference though :teeth:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c71164f6e

They're almost certainly heavier than OEM, 0.5" wider front and 1.5" on the rear, that's a good couple of kg per wheel, plus another kg for each spacer adds up to quite a lot.

You'll be looking for an offset of about +20mm for a 9.5" front and 10.5" rear, +10mm for 8.5"/9.5" ideally but +20mm will look ok.

With regards to standard wheels which don't have the best stance as it is, how would 8x18" ET35 and 9x18et 40 look ? :)

The front would sit 5mm further in, the rear would be about 2mm further out, so still 20/25mm spacers needed all round to make them sit well.

Thanks Kyle, that doesn't sound too bad at all, could get away with that until I get the money for spacers !