370z side airbag module

Adrian@TORQEN

Trying to source a Nissan 370z side airbag module for the passenger seat:

2013-08-13_13-34-14.jpeg

Nissan it's obviously asking for an arm and a leg - £542.06, tried http://www.airbagsfo...pe-09-on-09-on/ they will call me back if they can source, approx cost £75.00, also tried ebay, no luck so far.

Any other suggestions?

Edited by octet

Some more info:

Found out that Coats PLC provide the global auto industry with the thread to sew airbags and seat covers, and that for seat cover seam airbag deployment they use bonded nylon in #45 weight.

However, the guy in the video bellow uses #69 thread:

I now sew my seat covers with heavier polyester top and bobbin thread, lock my stitches above and below the airbag area, change both of the threads to lighter #69 weight, finish sewing the seam overlapping the polyester thread, but not locking the stitch. I always felt comfortable with the safety of the covers the way I am sewing them. I was able to test my method when I had an insurance company replace a passenger front bucket seat on a Nissan Altima. I took the old seat and cut it open and resewed the seam using my method. I then exploded the airbag and recorded it to show that the seam blew apart properly, without any problems.

The closest size thread I found so far was #46 on here: http://www.thethread...ylon-thread-046

or

#40 on eBay.

Stitching method:

The picture below shows lock stitching, what we do is lock stitch by hand, the other method (shown as hand stitching) is the absolute wrong thing to do. You do one loop with one needle, you do the second loop with the other needle through the first loop, and go on like that. Use pliers since the cloth is hard and hands sweat.

2013-08-17_11-46-58.jpeg

Edited by octet

• 2 weeks later...