Whining/grinding noise from front wheel when turning right

JoshC

Noticed that a noise that has slowly developed and got worse the past week and seems to be coming from my drivers side front wheel arch. Only seems to happen, or at least it's more noticeable when turning right.

As I say it's a kind of whining/grinding noise, at first I thought it sounded like the wheel rubbing on some bodywork but it's since got worse.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be, in work at the moment and won't get a chance to have it checked out till the weekend most likely but just wondering if there's been a common issue which sounds like it might relate to this?

Cheers!

Sounds very plausible from the noise it's making, would a shot bearing not make the noise all the time though rather than just as I'm turning right?

Just to add to this, a thought has just popped into my head that a couple of weeks ago I noticed what seemed to be the powersteering pump getting slightly louder but thought nothing of it at the time but come to think of it now, the whining noise may have something to do with that?

Josh,

All parts are in stock for the Power Steering and wheel bearings and good to go same/next day.

However best to check the PAS fluid level and belt before you splash the cash.

Just drop me a PM if I can help further mate.

Alex. :)

Josh,

All parts are in stock for the Power Steering and wheel bearings and good to go same/next day.

However best to check the PAS fluid level and belt before you splash the cash.

Just drop me a PM if I can help further mate.

Alex. :)

Good stuff! Cheers mate! Will check the fluid as soon as I get off work, if it's not that then I'll be in touch! :)

Sounds like our Evoque which is making a similar noise at the moment. I thought that was a wheel bearing and I was right. Getting it fixed under warranty because it shouldn't really happen on a new car I don't think?

I had 2 wheels bearings fixed by SEAT on my old car, was actually my fault as I clipped a kerb in the snow which caused the damage but after some fuss with SEAT I got them to do it under warranty!

I'm hoping it's just the PAS fluid but sounds more likely that it's a bearing or maybe the PAS pump :(

Before I check the fluid, if it is indeed low, what do people reccomend to top up the PAS fluid. Any particular brands, preferably available somewhere like Halfords or other car parts stores that I can pop into this afternoon?

Cheers!

Hmm sounds weird, if you're not mechanically minded then get a garage to check your bushes, arms and bearings etc

If it is the wheel bearing then try find a breaking 350, my mate got the whole assembly for £25. It was a crap job just getting the hub nut off! He went through 2 breaker bars and lot of swearing haha

Edited by BillyZed

Cheers Billy!

I checked the PAS fluid on lunch and it was below the line, not checked the fluids in a while and a service due soon :blush: Topped it up and the problem at least seems to have gone for now but I've noticed it's worse when the car is cold in the mornings so will keep and eye on the levels to see if it's leaking and will see how it behaves first thing tomorrow morning!

Cheers all.... for now :)

Cheers Billy!

I checked the PAS fluid on lunch and it was below the line, not checked the fluids in a while and a service due soon :blush: Topped it up and the problem at least seems to have gone for now but I've noticed it's worse when the car is cold in the mornings so will keep and eye on the levels to see if it's leaking and will see how it behaves first thing tomorrow morning!

Cheers all.... for now :)

Good job mate :) you won't have to swear at your car and break your breaker bars then :lol:

Had the same thing, check your brake dust shields. Made the noise when turning right, pull them back with a flat head job done.

Yep, I had this problem too. Nice quick and easy fix to check at home. Had a stone wedged in between the shield and the disc. Probably worth checking first as its so easy to do.

Had the same thing, check your brake dust shields. Made the noise when turning right, pull them back with a flat head job done.

Yep, I had this problem too. Nice quick and easy fix to check at home. Had a stone wedged in between the shield and the disc. Probably worth checking first as its so easy to do.

Oh and check the other side too. When I fixed the drivers side, I took it for a test drive and without that noise I could then hear the other side making the same noise!

It sounds like I have exactly the same issue. I only notice that noise when turning hard left at about 5mph (whenever i'm driving out of the car park). Noise comes from the front offside wheel.

If it is a wheel bearing what sort of price would you expect to pay to get it fixed, if taken into a garage?

It sounds like I have exactly the same issue. I only notice that noise when turning hard left at about 5mph (whenever i'm driving out of the car park). Noise comes from the front offside wheel.

If it is a wheel bearing what sort of price would you expect to pay to get it fixed, if taken into a garage?

I would expect at least £300 including the bearing and labour, if you sourced the part yourself off a 350 that's being broken for parts it will be much cheaper

I would expect at least £300 including the bearing and labour, if you sourced the part yourself off a 350 that's being broken for parts it will be much cheaper

Argh, I've got to sort the nearside rocker cover as well which is pretty labour intensive. Sucks

Argh, I've got to sort the nearside rocker cover as well which is pretty labour intensive. Sucks

Ah that sucks mate! You getting a garage to sort it all? Some times it's just easier to pay more for less hassle haha

When my wheel bearing shat itself it made the noise in a straight line and was loud as hell, also had a knock/ play in the wheel if I rocked it back and forth. I'd check the shields before throwing money at anything else as its such an easy fix

Toppe dup the PAS fluid and the problem has dissapeared. It seems to be holiding the fluid level quite well and I've done a fair bit of driving. Taken it to my mates garag and he's had it up on the ramp to check for leaks and he couldn't spot anything so hopefully it's problem solved!

Toppe dup the PAS fluid and the problem has dissapeared. It seems to be holiding the fluid level quite well and I've done a fair bit of driving. Taken it to my mates garag and he's had it up on the ramp to check for leaks and he couldn't spot anything so hopefully it's problem solved!

You may want to bleed the PAS as well as topping up, not sure on the process on a Z but generally it's along the lines of holiding full lock for 30 seconds, switching lock and holding for 30 a few times. Whining is often air in the system making noise in the pump...