Best 'Driving' Roads in Wales?

Jp606

I'm going up to Gloucestershire next month for a little road trip with the other half and will be spending one of the days in Wales to do a bit of driving and I'm after some advice on a decent route to involve the best roads. Monmouth will be the closest place to where we're staying (Forest of Dean) so we can call that the starting point.

I know there's a yearly meet in Wales so was wondering if anyone can offer some advice on the routes used there?

Thanks.

Generally all the A/B roads in North Wales are pretty good, obviously some better than others.

The B4391 is pretty fun, and usually quite quiet.

The main problem is getting the roads quiet, with good weather. If the suns out, prepare to be stuck behind Sunday drivers, cyclists and camper vans.

(I lived in Trawsfynydd for 2yrs)

Edited by Badgeronimous

A few of the roads suggested are a tad far from Monmouth, but you should try the wales weekend next year.

For local roads, if you take a drive west (above the newport, cardiff, bridgend area) there are some cracking roads. I will try and dig out some road names, but i grew up in Bridgend and heading north from there towards Hiraun and the Bwlch are some amazing roads. Myseld and Wizurd also found some great A roads as we headed back from North Wales this year - if memory serves they were coming down the Hereford roads.

Best bet is look on a map near where you are and pick some twisty looking roads :)

• Like 1

Lots of great driving roads in south wales in the Brecons!

Firstly, the B4560 from Beaufort to Llangynidr - road over the moors which is frequeny used in Chris Harris videos - theres a hairpin that features in nearly every one of his videos. Also in the same area the run up the hill from Llangattock is brilliant.

Secondly, the A4059 running north from Hirwaun to the A470 - brilliant moorland road, can be very fast with well sighted sweepers. Doesnt really go anywhere either, so is good and quiet. Only thing is watch for sheep! so good needs to be ran in both directions!

Finally from me, the A4069 from Llangadog to Brynamman - although this needs to be early in the morning as it will be heaving with caravans, and its a bit too narrow to overtake safely.

• Like 1

A few of the roads suggested are a tad far from Monmouth, but you should try the wales weekend next year.

For local roads, if you take a drive west (above the newport, cardiff, bridgend area) there are some cracking roads. I will try and dig out some road names, but i grew up in Bridgend and heading north from there towards Hiraun and the Bwlch are some amazing roads. Myseld and Wizurd also found some great A roads as we headed back from North Wales this year - if memory serves they were coming down the Hereford roads.

Best bet is look on a map near where you are and pick some twisty looking roads :)

Is this the route we took some of the way back from the Welsh meet?

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Welshpool&daddr=newtown+to:kington+to:hereford&hl=en&ll=52.251346,-3.110504&spn=0.718818,2.113495&sll=52.35799,-3.032227&sspn=0.717089,2.113495&geocode=FXyIIwMdWf3P_ymtZ4H3SlVlSDGEobNYPaFpfA%3BFXBFIQMdLnLN_ykJF6EZuOJvSDGuTItPjY8Vjw%3BFd6QHAMdyMfR_ym3lHkzhNdvSDFdzYK7TfNI0w%3BFU5RGgMduo7W_ylBU26qJdRvSDGWbDz9S5qc1Q&mra=ls&t=m&z=10

Also looking at that map i'm sure if you turn west at Llandrindon Wells and head out towards Aberystwyth that A470/A44 road is pretty fun.