Idle woes - but a happy ending

Toon Chris

First a big thanks to Zmanalex who supplied all the parts very quickly and efficiently, and with good pricing too.

I had a recent service, the full deal with plugs etc and was looking to those new plugs giving that 1% more zing, especially with nice 5/30 oil replacing the previous 5/60 (got to be 0.1% drag on the engine with a 60w so thats another 0.29hp gained).

Not long afterwards up popped a P3045 error for a cam sensor failure and the car was in limp dishcloth mode. One replacement later and all was good.. For good measure I cleaned the throttle body and maf with carb cleaner.

I'm not a muppet so was careful and its not like its something I haven't done for my other cars but after finishing the idle was way too high. After checking for leaks (oops, crank recycle pipe loose - maybe I am a muppet) nothing was any better.

Local performance garage agreed it was the maf so again Alex helped me out. New maf fitted and no damn difference! My old maf had done 149,500 miles so how can a new one be no damn different!

Gnashing of teeth and an annoyed wife later (annoyed at me for being grumpy) another forum came to my rescue. After cleaning the throttle body, use the Idle Air Volume Learning procedure. I'm pretty good at the ecu peddle dance now so a minute later all fixed.

I'm only typing this up as I couldn't find it here by searching but hopefully I have used enough key words like 'high idle' problem' and 'throttle body clean' to mean that the next person to try and solve this problem will find this thread.

Ps, its been a pricey month!

Idle Air Volume Learning

1) Leave ACC pedal “as isâ€

2) Start engine and warm up to operating temp – temp gauge around middle

3) Turn IGN switch “OFF†– at least 10 sec

4) Turn IGN switch “ON†– 3 sec

5) Fully depress and release ACC pedal – 5 times within 5 sec

6) Wait 7 sec

7) Fully depress ACC pedal for appr 20 sec – during this time CEL blinks

8) When CEL light is “ONâ€, not blinking – fully release ACC pedal

9) Turn the engine “ON†within 3 sec

10) Start engine and idle