FAO Cyclists - What Lights?

So this morning was the first morning of the year I thought I could have done with some lights on when cycling to work. With the nights soon drawing in I think it is time to get myself equipped with a decent set of lights.

Has anybody got any they can recommend. I need a light that doesn't just get me seen by cars but also lights up my path as most of the riding is done along unlit country roads and I need to be able to see the potholes.

Budget is around £100 for the front. I have been looking at the Hope range, has anyone got any experience?

I can't recommend anything other than what I opted for myself, as that is all I have tried, based on my own research etc. a couple of years ago.

I bought the Magicshine MJ-816. Also known as the Mickey Mouse I believe as it has two side lights that look like Mickey ears! I think it cost a little under a hundred at the time.

I can honestly say that this thing is brighter than some motorbike headlamps I have used in the 80's. On full whack, cars are dipping before rounding a corner because they think another car is coming, but not to worry, it actually dips itself as the beam would be too much for oncoming vehicles. You have the choice of pushing the button and holding it whilst the output reduces to around 5% (although this can take 2 or 3 seconds, so you need advance warning) or a couple of sharp pushes switches to the 'side' lights which have a wide beam, ideal for keeping sight of the road edge but not offending any motorists. This is what I choose to do, and have not had any problems.

It uses a rechargeable Li-ion pack, with a fuel gauge which lets you know when it's low. The only criticism would be the rubber 'o' ring fitting for the lamp body. They are fine for the switch and other light weight parts, but I ended up making a more substantial clamp fitting to ensure that the beam doesn't drop every time you hit a pothole. Other than that, I can't fault it. I can see everything in the road directly ahead of me like it's daylight, and the additional flat beam from the 'ears' gives great wide peripheral vision. Definitely worth a look in your price range.

I know its not what yr after but I cycle to the local and back almost every night and apart from the usual cycle lights these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004TG3Q52/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 are fantastic for your personal safety, cheap as you like too!! I think these ought to be a legal requirement on bikes. And I have not been stopped by the police since fitting despite it being a regular thing prior to fitting them!!

I can't recommend any lights of that type but just some observations.

Make sure you don't blind other motorists if you're going to be fitting lights that bright. I got blinded by an idiot aiming them straight ahead a year or two back

I have my lights on pretty much anytime I cycle on a road or next to one day or night for safety.

Also look into investing in a breathable reflective/fluorescent jacket too. Sounds like you need one on the roads you cycle.

Oh and don't drink too much at the pub as you can still be charged :)

Sorry I couldn't help with choice of light. Enjoy

Also look into investing in a breathable reflective/fluorescent jacket too. Sounds like you need one on the roads you cycle.

+1!

I'm not a cyclist myself, but there are loads around where I live and even those that have invested in lights are still near-invisible from the rear - the small, single red lights never seem very powerful (or maybe I just live near a bunch of cheapskates that won't spent £100 on a set? :shrug: ). A nice set of hi-vis reflective clothing and plenty of reflectors on your bike (in addition to your lights, and not those ones from packets of Kellogs Frosties from the 1990s) and drivers will at least be able to see you.

There are lots of good ones from the far east on E-Bay at very reasonable prices, I went for something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XML-T6-Waterproof-3-Mode-1200-Lumen-Cree-LED-Bike-Light-Lamp-Headlamp-Torch-/260887802708?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item3cbe1ff354#ht_4911wt_1055

Only difference is that I got one with the front anodised in red to match my bike. Used it all through winter and spring with no issues, only thing is that the alloy body can get a bit hot if it has been on for a while.

The brightness is amazing (uses Cree LED's which are tiny but throw out an incredible amount of light) it lights up tracks very well, you just have to be careful on the road not to dazzle drivers but it has a dipped beam setting for that. There are even higher power versions available but these seem a little bit like overkill.

I would also buy yourself a second battery pack, as it does give you a warning when power is running low but on full beam this can only be a few minutes.

If you are buying from the far east you will also need a plug adaptor but even taking all this in to account you would only spend about £40.

I run a Blackburn Mars 3.0 on the rear which again is plenty bright enough and has lots of settings, I think you can get these for about £15-20.

Glad to see a sensible cyclist. Working in Cambridge, unfortunately i see millions of cyclists with no lights - and the amount of near misses in winter is shocking. It does seem to go from one extreme to the other however. Some cyclists i see (usually the road racing types) have exceptionally bright lights, on their head, flashing away like police strobe lights which can be extremely dazzling and distracting for car drivers. I seem to recall that its actually illegal to have flashing lights on a cycle and that they should be mounted at no more than a certain height from the ground, so it might be worth checking.

Oh, so cyclists do see lights??? They seem to miss those massive red ones that cars stop at as they just go whizzing by.

/rant

Back on topic

No light suggestions, but flashing lights were (bizarrely) made legal in 2009, and theres no maximum brightness , no specific beam pattern, just a height restriction saying it cant be higher than 1.5M above the ground :wacko: , current lighting regs in readable English are below.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/regulations/lighting-regulations

Edited by cs2000

Some cyclists i see (usually the road racing types) have exceptionally bright lights, on their head, flashing away like police strobe lights which can be extremely dazzling and distracting for car drivers. I seem to recall that its actually illegal to have flashing lights on a cycle and that they should be mounted at no more than a certain height from the ground, so it might be worth checking.

I fall into this category. In my opinion I would rather be lit up like a flashing christmas tree and be seen. I have plenty of 'small lights' that enable cars to see me but I haven't got a light that allows me to see the road when in complete darkness.

Thanks for suggestions so far, certainly some interesting options to consider.

Best of the far eastern imports is the Magicshine LED lights, the current best one is the MJ-872. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magicshine-MJ-872-Lumen-Rechargeable-Front/dp/B005SF60CY/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1375812632&sr=1-1&keywords=mj872 Available at various places on ebay now, usually about £80 or so.

The claimed output isn't really a genuine 1600 lumens, but it'll still blow your socks off if your coming from older stuff. There is also the previous generation stuff like: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cycling-Bicycle-HeadLamp-HeadLight-Waterproof/dp/B007WAAO70/ref=sr_1_3?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1375812554&sr=1-3&keywords=Magicshine

A word of warning with all the far eastern stuff though - don't expect a decent level of build quality! You are paying for the output, not the construction. They should last a couple of winters easy if you're gentle with them, but 80% of the old P7 ones me and my mates have had have died eventually (albeit riding off-road), I normally got about 1.5 winters out of mine. I belive the MJ872 is better built though.

Hope stuff is decent, and backup and warranty is first class, but you'll need £200+ for an equivalent output to the ones above. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-r4-led-vision-std-uk-1x4-cell/ Probably worth it if you are a serious bike commuter though and value the reliability.