The AA Renewal Rant

Cragus

In short, last year I sold my zed and my shed, I bought a slighter more reliable shed but as a security measure took out an AA membership incase I ran into any trouble. I have some sort of roadside cover with my bank account but doubt it is of much use. Last year I paid an annual membership of £95 for roadside assistance, Homestart and Relay.

I have been in Mexico for a couple of weeks and came home to a letter from the AA with a renewal letter saying I have been upgraded to a Silver Membership which in essence looks to be exactly the same thing I had last year under a new guise. They even kindly explained that they would take the money automatically on or around August 1st which is today. The best bit - renewal is £190.26. One hundred percent mark up from last year. Now I will give them that the new card certainly looks more swish but its not an extra £95 swish.

I went onto my online banking expecting to see the payment taken but thankfully it hadn't so I cancelled the DD. The things that really annoys me is if I sign up as a new customer I can get all the same options and add in parts and garage cover and onward journey for £159 - still £31 less with every optional extra.

I was in two minds about renewing but had decided for the sake of £95 I would. However, even though I am pretty certain they will come down if I phone them I am not sure I want to. Why do they feel they need to try and bum customers like this? OK, some will be daft enough to not read and let it continue but surely content customers mean sustained customers?

I usually go between AA and RAC each year and go through the quidco website to get cashback, I remember one year the RAC basic membership only cost me £9. The person on the phone that worked for the AA wanted to know the details so they could sign up!

I've now got an AA credit card though, so I get extra points for being an AA member and the points I accumulated paid for this years membership, which they brought down to around last year's price after a phone call. The letter informing me of a similar price increase as the OPs had a date around a month and a half before the renewal date but I only received 4 days before it was due.