Darn birds

Wa_Wa

Upon returning to my car yesterday after work it seemed as if it had been dive-bombed by just about every bird on the south coast. So, I decided it would be best to clean it all off to avoid any damage to the paint work. Unfortunately I got a little carried away and have ended up scratching it instead. :doh:

The scratches themselves are not deep and are fairly thin but you can feel them if you run your finger over them. I want to try and fix this as I feel a complete buffoon and it would be a shame to spoil thee finish of the car.

What would your recommendations be? Would a gentle polish be the first port of call? Or should I use something else (like Scratch-X)? Oh, and next time not rub so hard...

Many thanks for any advice.

How did you remove them that you scratched the car? :scare:

I think a point to remember here, is that you have to be very careful removing bird @*!# as it contains alot of grit that is picked up when the birds eat. Ideally you should get a cloth soaked in warm water and place it over the dollop to soften it, then you should hose it off. :thumbs:

I tired scratch x at the weekend for the first time and hated it! I've done a similar thing before where I've scraped something off with my nail and scratched the car. If you know anyone with a PC it will buff straight off even if no amount of hand polishing fixes it. I had a really bad scratch on my bumper machine buffed for £15 by a local mobile valet guy. There's no way it would have come out by hand but as the PC takes off a thin layer of paint it works very well.

The moral of the story though is to have a bottle of quick detailer and a cloth in the car for things like bird poo etc! :thumbs:

or a pound for the jet wash and hit is at a very shallow angle?

:teeth:

I hate bird-S ( it might even be slightly complusive) to the point I would not get anywhere near it, so cloths which require me getting anywhere near it...etc...... no no no no

or a pound for the jet wash and hit is at a very shallow angle?

:teeth:

I hate bird-S ( it might even be slightly complusive) to the point I would not get anywhere near it, so cloths which require me getting anywhere near it...etc...... no no no no

You big girls blouse you! :p

YEP! :p hate birds... of the winged variety, that is... ;)

PLus I also have two CRATERS :yuck: , and 1 paint laquer eaten off , on my bodywork from bird-s... ( i knew about it when I bought it, and i did get the z very cheap, i think....)

I need to accumulate a few more imperfections and then a full re-spray might be a simpler and cheaper idea....

I currently have a

500 quid for a roof respray tailgate ( ensuring no colour mismatch to the RR quarter panels )n

I need a re-spray round the aerial to fix lacquer peeling off...

And 1 minor (slightly major) parking indiscretion on the lower edge of the front bumper... due to a slightly higher than average kerb... :blush:

Other than that great car! :dry:

I wouldnt use scratch X ever :headhurt:

I would, and regularly do! :thumbs:

Scratch X is compeltely safe, so safe it won't get rid of scratches that you can feel with your nail..

Lomoto might be getting confused with something more abrasive ;)

I might have been using it badly... Plus a nightmare to get off.

you were using it wrong, not difficult at all to get off!

I agree, used it on Dads camaro (black) got rid of loads of swirl marks, not all though and then applied tech wax and it looked stunning :thumbs:

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I was using the meguiars wash mitt. I hosed the car off first paying particular attention to the affacted areas. When I came to wash the bird poo off the car, the wash mitt was loaded with water to help in the soaking. Unfortunately some of it was rather caked on and the soaking didn't help much.

I try to avoid parking under anything where birds can congregate. It's a shame the largest parking space in the car park is next to a lamp post. I guess it's either a car covered in bird poo or dents from other peoples car doors. At least the bird poo can wash off...

The scratches feel slightly rough to the touch, but my finger nail doesn't catch in them at all. I haven't used scratch-x myself, or anything like it. I'll read up on it and maybe give it a go at the weekend. I want to be careful though as sometimes it's better to leave things alone than make them worse by trying to fix them...

I had a new carpet fitted the other week and the guy unrolled it straight into the side of the Zed, leaving scratches all down the side. I started off with AG Super Resin polish, and then moved to AG Paint Renovator. Non-silicon and did the job perfectly. Then bought the shine back with AG Super Resin and then added a few layers of P21S. In place of Super Resin you could use any other polish you fancy, but I suggest doing it that way rather than going straight in with the more abrasive stuff. You'll end up rubbing for longer with a more abrasive compound and risk damaging the surrounding area. HTH. :)

I had a new carpet fitted the other week and the guy unrolled it straight into the side of the Zed, leaving scratches all down the side. :)

I hope you got a discount off your new carpet. :angry:

Got some chrome thresholds put in. ;)

talking about birds' @*!#... I had a royal dollop on my (paintshielded) bonnet today, took it off, and the shite still manage to somehow corrode the paintshield (not much but close up you can see! and it's only been on less than 24hrs! wtf do they eat these fukin birds... radioactive fish or something :dry: