Cant get my knob off!

wayniebear

Hi Guys, i need to change me gear knob. Might be selling the car soon and the gearknob's a bit worn and it looks @*!#. Have tried unscrewing it and it doesnt wanna budge, frightened of breaking something if i try any harder. I presume it twists off anticlockwise? Any ideas ????

Hi Guys, i need to change me gear knob. Might be selling the car soon and the gearknob's a bit worn and it looks @*!#. Have tried unscrewing it and it doesnt wanna budge, frightened of breaking something if i try any harder. I presume it twists off anticlockwise? Any ideas ????

I tried to do this also a while back. Apparantly you can damage the gearing by doing this. I was told that you need to grip the shaft with mole grips to prevent it twisting whilst turning the top of the knob in the opposite direction. I wasn't brave enough to attempt it. :wacko:

Done it. Fk me it was tight. I think they put some of that plastic setting stuff on the thread before they screwed it on. Got my brother to grip the stick with mole grips to stop any stress being transfered into the box and managed to get it off. Thanks for your input guys. Have a good one. Wayne

Done it. Fk me it was tight. I think they put some of that plastic setting stuff on the thread before they screwed it on. Got my brother to grip the stick with mole grips to stop any stress being transfered into the box and managed to get it off. Thanks for your input guys. Have a good one. Wayne

wheres the photo of the new knob ?

:worthless:

Done it. Fk me it was tight. I think they put some of that plastic setting stuff on the thread before they screwed it on.

I would guess they do put treadlock on it. Is there a coloured patch on the tread of the gear stick? That would be threadlock. This would be why some are harder to get off than others as some will have more threadlock.

Done it. Fk me it was tight. I think they put some of that plastic setting stuff on the thread before they screwed it on.

I would guess they do put treadlock on it.

I would have thought that threadlock would work better :p

You are a pedantic bugger aren't ya :p

I would guess they do put treadlock on it.

I would have thought that threadlock would work better :p

:doh:

Got it right the next time! Guess my touchtyping skills aren't up to scratch any more!