Stolen recovered; same stigma as CAT C/D cars?

Sarnie

Peeps,

I've been looking at a few cars in the circa +/- £10k area, for a weekend/summer toy etc.

I've came across a car that is a perfect spec, age, mileage and condition but about £5k less than other cars. The advert states that the car was 'Stolen recovered'.

My immediate thought was to walk away, but then i thought; why??

The owner said that the car was stolen in 2004. Insurance paid out and then the car was found. Apparently nothing was damaged eg it wasn't crashed or used in a ram raid etc.

So, why would or does a Stolen Recovered car suffer the same stigma as a CAT C or D car? Would you rather have a car that might have been redlined by a scrote for a week or two than at CAT car that you KNOW has been bent round a tree??

If the car was stolen a few months ago and not covered any distance since I'd be concerned. But this was 9 years ago and the car has covered 50k since..........

For reference, the price is £9.5k and a very similar car is currently listed at £14.5k so it seems to be priced accordingly, I just feel like I'm missing something..........

Liam :)

I'd treat is as a Cat D car, you pay 25% less, you get 25% less for it when you sell it. If you're only going to clock up 2-3k a year then I don't see a problem really. The only thing I would consider is how long before it was recovered, weeks, months?

Also it sounds like a 50k plus car when it was new so possibly stolen to order by pro's who can break in and get them started with minimal damage.

Pete

I'd treat is as a Cat D car, you pay 25% less, you get 25% less for it when you sell it. If you're only going to clock up 2-3k a year then I don't see a problem really. The only thing I would consider is how long before it was recovered, weeks, months?

^^ this - definately