Weighing up costs of seat repair vs. finding another seat!

Louisa911

Hey guys

Just weighing up my options regarding the bolster on my drivers side black leather seat. Its suffering from the usual wear, scratched quite a bit and one or two of these scratches have now torn right through to the foam. Bummer.

I've called a chap who lives 10 mins away from me, who restores interior trim and upholsters mainly classic buses and stuff like that. He's said he will take a look at it when I get chance to take it over... however he asked if there was a lot of stitching or not, and seemed to stress that the seat would need removing and the cover taking off (of course...?) which made me imagine it might be rather expensive to get this repaired. Will take it over anyway next week and see what he says.

Otherwise, the only option must be sourcing a better condition second hand seat. Does anybody have one laying around they would be looking to sell? Only cloth ones on ebay.

If anybody wants to take a guess at the repair cost too, please do... might soften the blow a bit!

Happy to hear any opinions or ideas on this subject... I can't stand having something damaged but not exactly drowning in cash at the moment either :)

Cheers

Lou

Cheers for the offer Dave but unfortunately you're the other side of the country to me :D

I had a chat with Pete when I first bought the car 5 months ago (the tears had only just started to form) who suggested a retrim might be the only option and its quite a lengthy job with labour. Now they've started splitting a bit more, I think it will have to be a case of new leather panel or new seat unfortunately.

I will see what this chap quotes me... will be interesting to see. I can imagine the stitching down that side being a bit of a pain but you never know! If I get a silly quote then the hunt will definitely be on for a new seat. Thanks guys

Please let us know. Mine are split and I know down the line I'll need to get it sorted but it is a low priority at the moment. As you say, having a figure in mind will soften the blow!

• Like 1

I'm sure somebody will come along soon with a guesstimation! Anybody? Haha. If its over the £120 region it'd have to be new 2nd hand seat option I think. They go for something around that mark don't they? Two on ebay at the moment bid only... end in 4 hours and the bidding its at £205 but not reached their reserve, whatever that is. If you are that seller, please split and I'll buy the drivers one off you :D

Given that the passenger seats always have less wear is it possible to transplant the bolster from one of those onto the drivers? I guess you could pick up a passeger for less from someone brakeing a car.

on that note how about buying this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-350z-black-leather-passenger-seat-cushion-base-gduk-spare-parts-/161045441831?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item257f0e6d27

You could then do a supply teachers jacket elbow patch over the offending area! You could cut up the leather and sell it on as custom made 350z leather patches!

Yet another fantastic business case for me to present to Sir Alan Sugar

You could find someone that would just replace the bolsters, you could colour code them or get the stitching done in another colour, will look like new seats for a fraction of the cost maybe....

Other side of the country :p I am worth the effort I promise :lol:

Edited by spursmaddave

Took my car over to see this chap - unfortunately he didn't seem too keen on doing it, and said it'd be a tricky job to do as well as matching the orange stitching and leather colour etc.... seemed a bit concerned about taking my seat in bits. He said it'd cost me a small fortune if he went ahead with it anyway. So yeah.... once I get back from my Alps trip mid August I'll be on the lookout for a new to me seat! If anyone has one and would consider saving it for me, that would be amazing. Otherwise will start my hunt when i get back :)

There was a member on here a couple of months back desperate to get rid of a pair of leather seats for £350 i think.

They looked in very good condition too.

(sold in late June, just found thread)

Edited by mrchic

Can you keep me in the loop Louisa?

I will see if I can source a drivers seat an restore it for you then we can just swap it over.

I ill then take your seat and repair it if I can.

The seats are infact a frame with swabbing on then a 2 piece cover placed over it.

I am trying to remember what it looked like, but I am sure repairing is not the issue.

More like getting it to me.

Stick a picture up on here when you get time?

If we were on a meet I would get it done on the day provided someone kept the sunlight off my back!

The black ones were keysers and they sold about 30 mins after I restored them at the Zed shed a few weeks ago.

Dont go spending out or listening to reupholsterers who say they cant match the colour?

I did a blown airbag panel in a seat by having it repaired in black and colouring it Anthracite myself.

B)

Thanks for that, will try upload a picture this evening if I get chance :) At work at the moment so will update when i get home. There are the usual orange scratches which would be nice to get sorted too, shame having something like that putting a downer on an otherwise very clean car!

Be good to hear your expert opinion before I go hunting down another seat.

Can you keep me in the loop Louisa?

I will see if I can source a drivers seat an restore it for you then we can just swap it over.

I ill then take your seat and repair it if I can.

The seats are infact a frame with swabbing on then a 2 piece cover placed over it.

I am trying to remember what it looked like, but I am sure repairing is not the issue.

More like getting it to me.

Stick a picture up on here when you get time?

If we were on a meet I would get it done on the day provided someone kept the sunlight off my back!

The black ones were keysers and they sold about 30 mins after I restored them at the Zed shed a few weeks ago.

Dont go spending out or listening to reupholsterers who say they cant match the colour?

I did a blown airbag panel in a seat by having it repaired in black and colouring it Anthracite myself.

B)

I have a set of orange seats coming my way soon which I will refurbish if your seats are to knackered lol.

Also Keyser may have a spare one, so no shortage.

Dont go throwing good money away until you have looked at all the available options.

Peter