Replacement/additional keys - programming

cactusweasel

Hi there,

I've had a search about the forums but didn't really pull up anything on reprogramming keys (that is, to start the car as well as open it!) - I'm looking to get a spare key for my Zed just in case, there are plenty of second hand Nissan fobs on ebay which match all the numbers on my own key, my question is can these second hand fobs be reprogrammed or would I need a new and unused one for programming? I also read somewhere that even if the model of fob matches, sometimes it's still incompatible - is this true, and if so is there any way to check?

Regarding the actual programming, is this something only Nissan can do or are independant garages able to do it assuming they have the equipment?

Cheers

-

Ade

You can use second hand key, but unfortunately there are a lots of different key models and they all looks the same. Only the parts numbers are different, but it's not marked on the key fob itself. The best way if you (can) make sure it's from a "same year/same car" as yours.

Otherwise some independent garage got the equipment to program them, but you will need your NATS code (pin number) which if you haven't got it only Nissan can give it to you (the lawful owner with the V5C) and they (most of them) will charge you for it. (If you are close to my garage give me a PM for more info ;) )

You can use second hand key, but unfortunately there are a lots of different key models and they all looks the same. Only the parts numbers are different, but it's not marked on the key fob itself. The best way if you (can) make sure it's from a "same year/same car" as yours.

Otherwise some independent garage got the equipment to program them, but you will need your NATS code (pin number) which if you haven't got it only Nissan can give it to you (the lawful owner with the V5C) and they (most of them) will charge you for it. (If you are close to my garage give me a PM for more info ;) )

Do you know which years are different? I've seen some advertised as 2005-2007, but 2005 cars are the same as 2003-2004... :shrug:

Cheers for the info Kaizer, mine is also an '04 regged in June (if i remember off the top of my head) so I assume that would be the same part number as KyleR?

The NATS code, I think thats the 5 digit code thats on the tiny metal keyfob that came with the keys? If so I have that number written down somewhere safe. A local garage who i've used a lot in the past quoted me £35 to do the programming, so as long as I get a fob with the right part number I should be good to go?

Cheers,

Hi Kaiser Im a new Z owner local to you (Birmingham). I have 2 off used keys here the previous owner gave me as there is no working spare, but I dont have the NATS code. If come over are you able to "capture" whats needed off my good key and re-program one of the spare keys from that ?

Thanks

Jim

It's usually not with the car (it's on a small sticker go missing easily when the car new) except if the selling dealer recorded it in your book pack.

Bummer, had a good rummage through all the documents I have but cant see anything, only thing I noticed was in the car itself, inside the drivers door where the tyre pressures are, there is another small sticker there with the VIN number and a 4 digit code above it - I guess that wouldn't be it?

Hi Kaiser Im a new Z owner local to you (Birmingham). I have 2 off used keys here the previous owner gave me as there is no working spare, but I dont have the NATS code. If come over are you able to "capture" whats needed off my good key and re-program one of the spare keys from that ?

Thanks

Jim

PM sent ;)

It's usually not with the car (it's on a small sticker go missing easily when the car new) except if the selling dealer recorded it in your book pack.

Bummer, had a good rummage through all the documents I have but cant see anything, only thing I noticed was in the car itself, inside the drivers door where the tyre pressures are, there is another small sticker there with the VIN number and a 4 digit code above it - I guess that wouldn't be it?

No that's not that (there would be no point to have a pin code if they just stick it to the car as you wouldn't write your pin on your credit card would you?). It's not likely to have it as 99% of the dealers never recorded it or give it to the customer. (So they can charge you now :stir: ).

Edited by KaizerMotor