What "zed specific" issues should I look for?

smellstevens

Im picking up my 2006 350z on tuesday from a dealer who deals with plenty of 350/370 and such like, so far everything looks good.

Is there any Z specific things I should look for before I hand over wads of cash?

I'll have my mate with me who is a mechanic so he'll have a good look but has no experience with Z's.

Cheers guys

Have a look underneath at the exhaust. The flange where the mid-pipe connects to the back box is almost guaranteed to rust and break if it hasn't already.

Edit - I need to read replies, person above has already said this!

Edited by Jp606

Zmanalex sells a repair kit for it and it looks a really easy fix, drive shaft out and replace cv joint iirc.

Make sure it's got good tyres on, and also depending on mileage try and get one That has had the clutch replaced. These are the two expensive jobs that might catch you out ( tyres I know from experience!!)

a floppy clutch after a long drive might get you some bargaining power. Its not really an issue as the clutch is fine and Nissan car design is to blame. Might help you negotiate a deal though. A rattly gearbox on engine shut down also seems common-ish. Again not really an issue but definitely an impressive noise to point out to the dealer.

Also check for a clunking noise over speed bumps etc, this could be a few things I.e drop links ( about 90 quid a pair ) or compression arms ( £250ish a side! )

is there a way to find out which one needs replaced? Or replace one, if it still persists,replace the other?

There is a procedure in the service manual for checking the compression arm, but I would think you need a lift and a good pry bar. When I bought mine I took a chance as I knew it had the clunking noise.. Luckly for me it was the drop links.

I have read that the compression arm noise is more of a loud 'thunk' than the drop links but people like Alex or Keyser would be able to confirm that.

EDIT:

also to check if its the drop links, remove one end from the roll bar and tie the links up with zip ties.. then go for a short slow drive over some bumps..if the noise has gone you have your answer :)

Edited by MrRoper

Also check for a clunking noise over speed bumps etc, this could be a few things I.e drop links ( about 90 quid a pair ) or compression arms ( £250ish a side! )

is there a way to find out which one needs replaced? Or replace one, if it still persists,replace the other?

The noise, if caused by compression rod ball joint, will disappear if you left foot brake whilst maintaining speed over bumps ... if it doesn't then it's probably drop links

Also check the cooling fans. Let the car idle for as long as possible- the fans should kick once the temp reaches the halfway mark and over. If they don't it's probably the contacts on the motors that are faulty due to carbon build up. Motors are about £200 each. Beau has a thread on here- DIY taking them out and refurbing them.

On the clutch issue- if the pedal feels fairly stiff then it's likely it's pretty worn. Get the car up to about 40-50 mph and put her into 5th / 6th gear. Plant your foot on the accelerator pedal and see if the revs fly up more than your actual acceleration- then you've got slippage.

The noise, if caused by compression rod ball joint, will disappear if you left foot brake whilst maintaining speed over bumps ... if it doesn't then it's probably drop links

Okay going over bumps, its a knocking sound. As if something is loose somewhere. Only image I can try and show is... its like my air filter box isnt screwed in and hitting away going over bumps. Thats the sort of noise and direction. I tried left foot breaking but it just makes car seem to near-stall haha. Does this knocking sound like drop links or compression arms?

The way you describe the noise is typical compression rod ... give it some beans whilst gently left foot braking - if the noise stops, then it's deffo Banana bar

So drive over bumps in the road at about 40, and gently brake. Or keep foot on accelerator whilst braking with left foot?

Edit: just read it again. Ill give it a go tomorrow and see if it goes away :) just worried incase it snaps off and car explodes

Edited by ddcboyle

The way you describe the noise is typical compression rod ... give it some beans whilst gently left foot braking - if the noise stops, then it's deffo Banana bar

So drive over bumps in the road at about 40, and gently brake. Or keep foot on accelerator whilst braking with left foot?

Edit: just read it again. Ill give it a go tomorrow and see if it goes away :) just worried incase it snaps off and car explodes

You should keep the speed and location to that where the noise occurs ... in my case that was at about 10 mph over the yellow zigzags outside a school. Left foot brake but also keep the accelerator pressed to maintain the speed

Don't worry it's safe to drive with a knackered banana bar.