Hmmmmmm Bridgestones (are forgiven)

MickJ

Picked my GT4 up yesterday, I had mentioned on a previous post that when I tested it a week ago I thought the ride seemed 'softer' than my GT I had at the time, but it did need 2 rear tyres, new Bridgestones have been fitted prior to me picking the GT4 up yesterday, I find that the ride does still seem 'softer' still and also I notice that the back end seems easily unsettled in fact quite 'skittish' when going over rough road surfaces and tramlines a lot something which the other car didn't (that had another make of tyre on) also the 'traction' control kicks in when going through a series of bends I like which the other didn't, now I have read comments on Bridgestones not being the best tyre for this car and also the rears are brand new and not really 'run' in yet, or is it possible that my GT had had the suspension 'tweaked' at some time as there is a marked difference in ride between the 2 cars.

Any suggestions\thoughts\opinions welcome.

TIA

Mick

It'll be the new tyres. You need to scrub them in with a few doughnuts or just wait for a couple of hundred miles. The ESP will be kicking because of the new level of grip it now has on the rear. It'll settle down pretty quick :thumbs:

if the tyres are "brand new" they will still have mould release agent on them which takes a 100 miles or so to wear off. The first couple of heat cycles can also affect the tyres so dont push them too hard just yet.

Also, as other threads on here have suggested if the rears are brand new and the fronts are nearly worn this can lead to the traction kicking in due to the slight differential in rolling radius (up to about 5% iirc).

but I'd give em a chance, the 'stones are great. :p go on flame me now.....

if the tyres are "brand new" they will still have mould release agent on them which takes a 100 miles or so to wear off. The first couple of heat cycles can also affect the tyres so dont push them too hard just yet.

Also, as other threads on here have suggested if the rears are brand new and the fronts are nearly worn this can lead to the traction kicking in due to the slight differential in rolling radius (up to about 5% iirc).

but I'd give em a chance, the 'stones are great. :p go on flame me now.....

I never had a problem with them at all either. :)

Seconded.

Check pressures and get a few miles on them before making a judgement :)

Both rears & f\n\s were 5 psi down only the front o\s was ok, this is a bit annoying when the 'technician' ho! ho! has took the trouble to write in the tyre pressures on the P2 service sheet which incidently all read 35psi, think that I had better make sure the wheelnuts are done up as well!

Is there any known issue regarding the rear suspension as i posted before about when test driving the car it seemed to 'float' a little at the rear and it seems to crash and bang more so that my other one especially on the rear nearside, but when I load that side up cornering hard it seems fine, I have done the 'bounce' check and the shocks seem ok, have measured the ride height and that's within limits so should rule out a spring problem, or is it down to these bloddy Bridgestones and our crap roads!?

Just a follow up, put some high density foam under the spare wheel and tightened the retainer up good and tight and that seems to have stopped the crashing and banging.

tbh I wish there was another brand with the 'Stone's sidewall stiffness, that is really good and something my T1Rs are lacking

I also love the stiff sidewalls and I like the rest of the tyre, so much so that I bought another set :p , only thing I don`t like is the rim protection they offer :)

tbh I wish there was another brand with the 'Stone's sidewall stiffness, that is really good and something my T1Rs are lacking

I also love the stiff sidewalls and I like the rest of the tyre, so much so that I bought another set :p , only thing I don`t like is the rim protection they offer :)

I didn't mind them either. Next time i need a set, I'll buy them if they are the cheapest of the premium brands. Personally, I'm a snob and would never put Falkens or the like on my zed. Before the tirade begins I'm sure they are as good as other brands but I just want my zed to have 'Michelins' or 'Pirelli's' etc :thumbs:

I didn't mind them either. Next time i need a set, I'll buy them if they are the cheapest of the premium brands. Personally, I'm a snob and would never put Falkens or the like on my zed. Before the tirade begins I'm sure they are as good as other brands but I just want my zed to have 'Michelins' or 'Pirelli's' etc :thumbs:

So basically you are saying that you are a badge snob??

That doesn't make sense....... why pay £200 - £300 more in average for a full set (i know you got a great deal) for something that a lot of the time ain't as good!? I wouldn't buy em if they were crap, but they are not. Even a lot of the tyre sites now class them as premium sports tyre. Its just that they are not as well known

Each to their own I suppose, but seems crazy for me :blush:

So basically you are saying that you are a badge snob??

That doesn't make sense....... why pay £200 - £300 more in average for a full set (i know you got a great deal) for something that a lot of the time ain't as good!? I wouldn't buy em if they were crap, but they are not. Even a lot of the tyre sites now class them as premium sports tyre. Its just that they are not as well known

Each to their own I suppose, but seems crazy for me :blush:

Yes I am a badge snob :D

One thing though, I never said they were crap or that more well known brands were any better just that I prefer to have stuff that is a recognized premium brand :thumbs:

Hence me not buying a set of Ruff Racing wheels :teeth:

One thing though, I never said they were crap or that more well known brands were any better just that I prefer to have stuff that is a recognized premium brand :thumbs:

Fair enough!

Can't knock your honesty...... :teeth:

Fair enough!

Yeah, except you bought a Datsun, Sarnie!!! :wacko:

Fair enough!

Yeah, except you bought a Datsun, Sarnie!!! :wacko:

Yeah but I took the badges off :p

If the Stones are new replacements its worth checking they are the right tread pattern variant.

I'm currently running the wrong ones (cant remember which they are without going outside to look!) and although they seem fine in the dry they dont disperse the water as well in the wet.

If the Stones are new replacements its worth checking they are the right tread pattern variant.

I'm currently running the wrong ones (cant remember which they are without going outside to look!) and although they seem fine in the dry they dont disperse the water as well in the wet.

Yeah, the right ones for the fronts are XZ and the rears KZ. The KZ fronts suffered from feathering.