Clunking and scraping noise from rear

Yampiedog

I have noticed a very obvious clunking and scraping noise coming from the rear. It clunks with what seems one revolution of the wheels which makes me suspect axle somewhere but there is also a scraping sound when moving.

I have my concerned it could be the dreaded inherent fault that is mentioned a lot.

I'm going to get her jacked up and turn the rear wheels and see what I can find.

Oddly though this started immediately after I went over a cattle grid. I was only in first exiting a forest car park and to be honest it felt horrible travelling over it. Hard to explain but I just knew that had been an extremely juddery cattle grid experience. I also wonder though with something had come loose as a result of this.

Any ideas or suggestions and what to look at underneath would be appreciated. Even better would be someone nearby who knows more than me about the 350 and could have a listen to the noise.

Thanks in advance...

Edited by Yampiedog

'Clicky Axle' usually only happens when you pull away on first or reverse and you wouldnt normally get a scraping noise afterwards...

You should do a quick check on the disc shields, they are large metal covers that sit inside the discs and can get bent and rub on the discs - get the car up on jacks and rotate the wheels to check - if it is that then its simply a case of a bit of elbow grease to bend them back again.

There will be much more technical people along shortly to offer better advice im sure...

Whip out the brake pads and give the calipers a shake down? Sometimes excessive bumping can cause some rust etc to get lodged in there causing a noise.

Get someone to stand outside the car and listen for the noise, when I had the bent brake shield issue I could have sworn it was on the front, it was only two weeks later and my brother listened as I drove by we realised it was at the back.

I have a squeak coming from the front/rear (can't tell) of my Z when I go over a bump that is only there when the car is cold, had the wheels off over the weekend and couldn't feel any play. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Sorry for the thread hijack! Just thought I'd ask in here as we're on the subject of noises rather than start a new thread.

You should do a quick check on the disc shields, they are large metal covers that sit inside the discs and can get bent and rub on the discs - get the car up on jacks and rotate the wheels to check - if it is that then its simply a case of a bit of elbow grease to bend them back again.

There will be much more technical people along shortly to offer better advice im sure...

Have you got any more info on this? As I've got a feeling I have this problem on my front drivers side!

Any special tools or expertise required? I will remove the wheel and have a look when I get some time off work, would just be handy to have an idea of what to look for in advance.

Cheers!

Looking to order Brembo pads, considered EBC but not paying that much as I don't need what they offer. My only confusion is the ones on eBay all have differing ID numbers after them.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Yampiedog