No sound from Pioneer head unit - but only in the morning!?

sloutrou

Hey all,

Bit of a strange one this. Bought the car with a Pioneer head unit, and has always worked fine (well, as good as the Bose can be!).

Yesterday morning, I started her up, ready to go to work, but no sound. Strange, maybe it's on mute. Nope, not on mute, nothing whatsoever. Power going to the head unit and it beeps when the buttons are pressed, but no sound.

When I left work, started her up, sound back as if nothing had happened! Thought nothing of it, went on my way home.

But....exact same thing this morning, a 15 mile journey in silence, and fine on the way home!

What gives? Is there a loose connection that would be worth checking somewhere?

Would be grateful for any advice :)

Jez

With the way work's been going at the moment, that is the right answer :lol:

This morning I even tried switching the ignition off when it wasn't working and then starting her up again, no difference, but fine on the way home!?

As its a replacement head unit i'm guessing it's not installed properly. Sounds like the electrics are a bit damp but dry off during the drive in. Some stereo fitters use a device called a splice connector to join wires instead of soldering the connections which can get let moisture from the air in. Take the centre console apart (there are many guides on this forum or ask me if you get stuck) and check the wiring for the stereo. Search Amazon for "slice connector" to see a pic.

I would hate to count the number of faults I have found because of these things, although yours does sound a bit strange and having re read your post my guess would be an intermittent fault within the head unit itself as power is clearly getting to it in the morning, possibly a dry joint on a circuit board.

I recognise those, always the sign of someone who doesn't know what a soldering iron is :stir:

If it was a loose connection, I'd have thought it would cut in and out when I'm driving, there's a big part of me that's scared at what I'll find if I remove the centre console, I've spent the last 14 months 'de-personalising' the car which was obviously owned by someone who couldn't afford to run it :angry: