Brake Pad Replacement

Z-monster

Bonjour all!

Context: 12K miles per year, maybe 3/2 track days per year and the rest on Motorway/long distance. Current setup is OE all round.

Time to brake pad replacement - looking at EBC Yellowstuff over the standard Brembo pads.

Setup would then be EBC Yellow on the fronts and OE on the rear.

Quoted c.£200 +/-£20 for supply and fit from both dealers and indie' garages.

Where you come in:

any advice/experience: EBC mentioned that you can have some "interesting moments" if you have different axles on different pads. Makes some sense to me - but really worth worrying about?

Advice on tools I'll need if i was to do this myself: are they rent-able/worth buying/ or should I just go to the garage and pay an expert?

FYI was told by parts supplier that it seems Brembo aftersales are pulling out from the UK and Ferodo are phasing out DS Performance pads for 350Z. Doesn't sound right considering their massive portfolio of parts, but thought I'd mention it.

Any help gratefully received!

Easy DIY job on Brembos, no special tools required. The only "interesting moment" you would have is if you had different pads on the opposite ends of the same axle. Sounds like they are trying to sell a set for the back with 'sales technique'.

Please dont think I'm trying to insult your intelligence, but the rough part of the pad facesthe brake discs. :thumbs:

Sounds obvious, but I was talking to an MOTer and he told me about a car he'd seen recently where the owner had done an 'easy DIY job' of replacing his own brake pads and fitted them the wrong way round! :scare:

Sounds like an old wives tale, but he showed me the photos he'd taken at the time on his phone!

• Like 1

Please dont think I'm trying to insult your intelligence, but the rough part of the pad facesthe brake discs. :thumbs:

Sounds obvious, but I was talking to an MOTer and he told me about a car he'd seen recently where the owner had done an 'easy DIY job' of replacing his own brake pads and fitted them the wrong way round! :scare:

Sounds like an old wives tale, but he showed me the photos he'd taken at the time on his phone!

Come on.....was it you?! :blush:

Brilliant - don't worry I think I could manage to get the right way round...pride before a fall?

Couldn't be much worse than my tyre guy - put the bloody front size tyres (225) on the rear alloys...(245)

Could you just check my tool list is correct:

hydraulic jack, torque wrench + sockets, brake cleaner...? +(bit of common sense)

• Like 1

The only socket you would need is to remove the wheel. There's a wrench in the tool kit for changing the spare if you don't have any. Torque to around 110nm if you're fussy, but tight is tight, not worth buying a torque wrench just for that.

Brilliant - don't worry I think I could manage to get the right way round...pride before a fall?

Couldn't be much worse than my tyre guy - put the bloody front size tyres (225) on the rear alloys...(245)

Could you just check my tool list is correct:

hydraulic jack, torque wrench + sockets, brake cleaner...? +(bit of common sense)

Copper grease and that's it bud!

If you're confident with a socket set and have the right tools, possess an average amount of common sense and make yourself familiar wit hthe guide that Ad linked to, I'd buy a set of Yellowstuff from one of the traders on here, such as Cougar Store, Tarmac or Zmanalex (circa £70 a pair IIRC) and give it a go yourself.

I'd advise torquing the wheel nuts up to the correct strength though rather than just 'tight'. I'm sure someone local has a wrench you could borrow or just ask a local friendly tyre place to check. Then spend the money you've saved by treating the Zed to tank full of Super unleaded and go bed your new brakes in :thumbs:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Pads were bugger to get out, I think they were caked in with dust and debris - worst were the inner ones, but the pads were really badly in need of a change.

Pistons went in easily enough, brake bite nicely, too. No squeeking, was fun to bed them in - love the smell, notice the difference too!

Getting Nissan (Wessex Garages in Cardiff) to change the brake fluid and bleed everything off. But otherwise an easy enough job to replace pads - might invest in a one-man pressured bleed kit if I end up doing this again soon:

http://www.tooled-up.com/product/sealey-power-bleeder-brake-bleeding-system/109708/?Referrer=googleproductlisting&gclid=CIvqk7XPn7gCFfMctAodaUcATg

Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

The one man kits don't work with the Nissan caps as it's not a conventional screw fit. You can't get it tight enough to stop the pressure bleeding out.

Conventional two man job, remembering that there are eight bleed nipples on the Brembo calipers, and Nissan recommend a multi pump and hold before opening the nipple as opposed to the normal single stroke each time.

Conventional two man job, remembering that there are eight bleed nipples....... Nissan recommend a multi pump and hold before opening the nipple as opposed to the normal single stroke each time.

No, no, no. Ian you're more mature than that. Don't comment. Resist. :dummy::shutup:

• Like 1