which tyres to buy

ddcboyle

Front or rear? 20K on the rears is quite frankly staggering, but assuming everything else stays the same then yes, you could see that kind of mileage out of a set of MPSS. As well as better grip, feel, noise etc.

They were rears. I'm assuming by "quite frankly staggering" means you think it was good. Tyremen told me 10-15k would have been good.

I still think it's pretty bad myself.

Front or rear? 20K on the rears is quite frankly staggering, but assuming everything else stays the same then yes, you could see that kind of mileage out of a set of MPSS. As well as better grip, feel, noise etc.

They were rears. I'm assuming by "quite frankly staggering" means you think it was good. Tyremen told me 10-15k would have been good.

What?

I got like 13-14k out of my rears and honestly I don't push it at all. It's a pretty heavy car with a fair amount of torque going to the rear. Not saying its the fasting thing ever but it's not kind to the tyres like a super mini.

I ran Vredesteins on my A4 estate,far better than the PS2s it came fitted with,excellent high speed stability,braking,wet get way superior.Also the MPSs treads would roll the rubber to the edge of the tread sipes,not idea for track use! The various M3 SC Cars I drove did exactly the same,not good if you're in a hurry.

Bad? Sweet jesus man, if I get 5K Ive done well. :lol:

With no disrespect, it doesnt sound like youre pushing the car to the limit, Ive no doubt the Vreds would be fine - I personally found them quite incommunicative and thought wet grip was average at best. MPSS are the best, I personally really like RE050A's as well.

I ran Vredesteins on my A4 estate,far better than the PS2s it came fitted with,excellent high speed stability,braking,wet get way superior.

What works on and FWD estate is not always going to be the best choice for an RWD coupe. ;)

I run Falken FK453's and they are very good, wet or dry and not too much road noise

Exactly the same. Pretty decent tyres for the price, personally seem much much better than the REO40's on the rears before.

I have just bought a set of Pilot sports for my 19's been running RE050's on my 18's

Michelin are doing the £50 fuel vouchers if you buy a pair atm made the difference between A falken and a Michelin that little bit less so became a no brainier for me

I have just bought a set of Pilot sports for my 19's been running RE050's on my 18's

Michelin are doing the £50 fuel vouchers if you buy a pair atm made the difference between A falken and a Michelin that little bit less so became a no brainier for me

Where would you get the voucher? Buying directly from?

Where would you get the voucher? Buying directly from?

my local tyre guy got me to fill out a form, voucher will come through post within 14 days

Bad? Sweet jesus man, if I get 5K Ive done well. :lol:

With no disrespect, it doesnt sound like youre pushing the car to the limit, Ive no doubt the Vreds would be fine - I personally found them quite incommunicative and thought wet grip was average at best. MPSS are the best, I personally really like RE050A's as well.

Quite right - I don't on the roads of Norfolk and I would be most unhappy if I had to change tyres as often as I change oil. :thumbdown:

I ran Vredesteins on my A4 estate,far better than the PS2s it came fitted with,excellent high speed stability,braking,wet get way superior.

What works on and FWD estate is not always going to be the best choice for an RWD coupe. ;)

Edited by yankeesiter

Which Pilot Sports? There are at least three PS tyres that can fit on the Zed ;)

Pilot sport 2's I believe, but local fitter forgot to put his order through last night so they didn't arrive

As many have mentioned it will come down to personal opinion but having had used a few of these my view would be:

Bridgestone RE040 - okay in the dry, not great in the wet and reasonable wear

VUS - bit better dry grip than RE040's wet grip similarly bad in my opinion and awful wear rate, I got about 7k out of a set or rears and that wasn't going hard on them

Bridgestone RE050 I think I had the A version - much better all around

All of these were on an RX8 231

My 350z came with almost new Michelin Pilot Super Sports all around and I think they are great so far (not had chance to test them in the wet yet). Having test driven a very similar car (age/mileage) at a main dealer with Bridgestones on it didn't ride nearly as well which I can only put down to the tyres.