Brake pad change - advice needed

AndyC

I'm just about to try out the Mintex Extreme pads abp posted up about a while ago.

I'm going to have a bash at fitting them myself (I haven't tried this before but it doesn't look too difficult). I've already had a look at a couple of guides both of which are saying that I need to take the caliper off to change the pads - is this absolutely necessary or can I get away without taking the caliper off the disk? (sorry if I'm being naive here)

Also, will I need to bleed the brakes after I've changed the pads?

Cheers folks :thumbs:

I'm just about to try out the Mintex Extreme pads abp posted up about a while ago.

I'm going to have a bash at fitting them myself (I haven't tried this before but it doesn't look too difficult). I've already had a look at a couple of guides both of which are saying that I need to take the caliper off to change the pads - is this absolutely necessary or can I get away without taking the caliper off the disk? (sorry if I'm being naive here)

Also, will I need to bleed the brakes after I've changed the pads?

Cheers folks :thumbs:

Even I can do this mate, had mine out this week to copper grease them as they were squeeling. You do not need to take the calipers off at all :thumbs:

Cool, cheers dude :D

So, all I need to do is remove the pins & clips and stick the new uns in?

Plus take it as I'm not disturbing the caliper there's no need to bleed em?

What I did was, unscrew the brake fluid cap so that when your trying to get the pads out the fluid has somewhere to go. Remove pads and replace with new ones. Pump the brake pedal a few times to get the brake fluid back into the system which builds the pressure up, meaning the pads are now firmly in the correct position and cannot be moved. Put it all back together not forgetting to put the cap back on the brake fluid dispenser. Job done.

God, I almost sound like i know what I'm doing :blush:

What I did was, unscrew the brake fluid cap so that when your trying to get the pads out the fluid has somewhere to go. Remove pads and replace with new ones. Pump the brake pedal a few times to get the brake fluid back into the system which builds the pressure up, meaning the pads are now firmly in the correct position and cannot be moved. Put it all back together not forgetting to put the cap back on the brake fluid dispenser. Job done.

Like you say almost mate - it aint a brake fluid dispenser!!! ;)

Now, do you mean the brake fluid reservoir under the bonnet?

Like you say almost mate - it aint a brake fluid dispenser!!! ;)

Now, do you mean the brake fluid reservoir under the bonnet?

Yes :blush:

I know Val, reckon I've just cursed myself with that eh??? ;)

Have you crashed yet? :teeth:

Not yet mate, touch wood anyway :teeth:

Pads haven't arrived yet, hopefully may get them Saturday, if so I'll do this weekend. If not will have to wait really :thumbdown:

Taking the brake fluid resevoir cap of is good advice

BUT

Do not forget to wrap a cloth around the resevoir as, as you push the piston back the fluid level will rise and, if the fluid spills, it is VERY VERY corrosive.

You dso not take the caliper OFF but you do have to take it off the disc!!

I did mine within days of getting the car and it was dead easy!!

Go steady and clean up everything as you go. That way its still easy next time!!

Ming the cautious

BUT

Do not forget to wrap a cloth around the resevoir as, as you push the piston back the fluid level will rise and, if the fluid spills, it is VERY VERY corrosive.

Go steady and clean up everything as you go. That way its still easy next time!!

Ming the cautious

Thanks mate, top advice.

What do you reckon on copper grease? I've read that on bedding in it will melt and come off anyway. Also, what are your thoughts on bedding in?

Mucho thanks! :teeth:

BUT

Ming the cautious

Thanks mate, top advice.

What do you reckon on copper grease? I've read that on bedding in it will melt and come off anyway. Also, what are your thoughts on bedding in?

Bedding in will be pad specific surely? My Ferodo pads came with specific instructions :thumbs:

And yes copper grease is a must my pads squeeled like buggery untill i added copper grease last week :headhurt:

BUT

Ming the cautious

Thanks mate, top advice.

Bedding in will be pad specific surely? My Ferodo pads came with specific instructions :thumbs:

And yes copper grease is a must my pads squeeled like buggery untill i added copper grease last week :headhurt:

sweet cheers dude!!

BUT

Ming the cautious

Thanks mate, top advice.

sweet cheers dude!!

Agreed

Check on the box for bedding in and do as it says.

The one thing to avoid if at all possible is a high speed stop to an actual stop. It is this heat generation and a pad firmly stuck to the disc that causes high spots on the disc and can cause vibration. The advice for the guy that explained all this is where possible take your foot off the pedal just before you stop to allow the wheel to turn slightly.

As for greasing coppers Mrs Ming gets upset if it is the lady copper kind I try and grease ;)

Joking aside it is standard practice in most garages to use this stuff so it must be safe and worth doing otherwise they wouldn't bother.

Ming the Cautious