Mysterious Water Leak

MrRoper

Hi Everyone,

I seem to have a small water leak somehwere, after a heavy rain spell, I get a 5-6 water drops from the underneath of the drivers side dashboard onto my legs, after feeling underneath the dash, I can feel a little water collected and the metal bracket near to the bonnet release is slightly rusted suggesting its been there for a while.

This only happens when its rained so its not the aircon, Is this likely to be the windshield seal or are there any other areas that might be letting in water?

Regards

There is a drain hole near the drivers side wiper blade, it gets blocked easy. Lift the brake fluid cover too, you can see that the water just runs down the bulkhead on the outside.

Good advice :thumbs:

Use a pressure washer or strong hose jet on the drain holes until you see the gathered water flowing easily away.

It may be the windscreen seal if not, but blocked drain holes have been known to allow water build-up to seep into the footwell areas through grommets etc.

There is a drain hole near the drivers side wiper blade, it gets blocked easy. Lift the brake fluid cover too, you can see that the water just runs down the bulkhead on the outside.

Cheers guys,

Do you know where the drain hole is in relation to the wiper? under the wiper drive shaft?

Many thanks

So the drains look clear however There is some kind of bulkhead seal near the ABS Actuator which seems to get a huge amount of rain poured onto it. That will be my first suspect when I get the plastic cowl off etc this weekend!

Its going to be a nightmare to reproduce, even after 5 hours of heavy rain the interior is dry!

Edited by MrRoper

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I have had another look into this after getting my legs wet again today! The leak is high up underneath the dash somewhere, looking up from the footwell you can see a large metal cylindrical supporting pillar that looks to support the top of the steering column etc. The leak is coming from above this beam/pillar as there is slight rust on this beam and also kitchen roll is slightly damp after a downpour.

is the only thing above this the window seal? or is there anywhere else anyone can think of that is a possible cause?

Cheers in advance!

Just an update, it's the window bonding, the glass hasn't been primed properly at some point so was loose, unfortunately this has caused some rust at the top of the window frame, so my car is sat outside the house with no windscreen :( all the rust has been removed and treated though and ready for some primer! Window guy is back tomorrow morning to refit! :)

• 6 months later...

I had the same problem.Most likely you have a leak from where the rubber gourmet sits in the body(place where all your cables from engine,battery runs inside the cabin).Its probably loose or completely off the position(did you have custom stereo installed,that's why mine was loose?).You will need to remove battery cover and it's surround,half of glass trim and then you will be able to get access to gourmet. I used water proof tape to tape around it.Never had problems since then.Also most likely you drainage points are blocked too(crap from trees and dirt).Hope that will help.

• Like 1

I had the same problem.Most likely you have a leak from where the rubber gourmet sits in the body(place where all your cables from engine,battery runs inside the cabin).Its probably loose or completely off the position(did you have custom stereo installed,that's why mine was loose?).You will need to remove battery cover and it's surround,half of glass trim and then you will be able to get access to gourmet. I used water proof tape to tape around it.Never had problems since then.Also most likely you drainage points are blocked too(crap from trees and dirt).Hope that will help.

Thanks mate, I'll get those checked!