Urgent advice needed!

stuarty

My son works part time in a sports center. He put his Mini key fob in his bag and into a locker in the public changing area. When he finished his shift the key was missing from his bag. So either someone has a master key to the lockers or my son as dropped or misplaced the key.

I have a spare key so managed to bring car home and lock in my garage. I know i can get a replacement key from bmw, but the missing key is still out there somewhere.

Can bmw change the key code on the car and the spare key that i have as well as the new key?

Thanks Stuart!

Edited by stuarty

Update, contacted the BMW dealer i bought the mini from. They wanted £78 to un pair the lost key with the mini and £150 for a new key and to pair it with the car, that was with a really good discount.

I was driving by another BMW dealer today in hamilton and popped in to get a quote from them. The service guy, took the car and key we had left and took the car into the work shop, came back out 15 minutes later and said he had deleted the lost key from the mini and only the key i had left could now open and start the car. I asked him how much it cost and he kindly said on this occasion its "FREE".

He also said if i found the lost key, he would re-program it to my car for free, result.

Also, he said he could order another key for £120!

So now only one key i have can open and start the car, but apparently, if someone knew what car it was, they could remove the key from inside the fob and manually unlock the doors, but cant start the car!

Only way to avoid this is to pay over £1000+ to have the locks changed.

Update, contacted the BMW dealer i bought the mini from. They wanted £78 to un pair the lost key with the mini and £150 for a new key and to pair it with the car, that was with a really good discount.

I was driving by another BMW dealer today in hamilton and popped in to get a quote from them. The service guy, took the car and key we had left and took the car into the work shop, came back out 15 minutes later and said he had deleted the lost key from the mini and only the key i had left could now open and start the car. I asked him how much it cost and he kindly said on this occasion its "FREE".

He also said if i found the lost key, he would re-program it to my car for free, result.

So now only one key i have can open and start the car, but apparently, if someone knew what car it was, they could remove the key from inside the fob and manually unlock the doors, but cant start the car!

Elephant offer key insurance now, I pay £1.60 (+/-) a month for it and if I lose my keys they will replace all the car and house locks for me with no excess. Worth trying to get some incase it happens again :)

Elephant offer key insurance now, I pay £1.60 (+/-) a month for it and if I lose my keys they will replace all the car and house locks for me with no excess. Worth trying to get some incase it happens again :)

Thanks mate, i'll look into it.

Deserves a 4 pack for that IMO, great service, rare to find!

PS, key cover is available from us in some cases as well.

Edited by skyinsurance
  • Like 1