Parking In Gear

invame

No, it's a manual. Odd thing is the gears seem fine whilst driving. I've owned it a year and I've not noticed any degradation. I'll double check in the morning to make sure I haven't gone mad if nothing else.

My e46 does this exact same thing. Exact same. Gearbox is sweet, not crunchy, smooth and quiet. No whiny noises or anything. Clutch doesn't slip when giving it full throttle too.

TBH I think its a bit pathetic that people would jump to that conclusion but whatever. Don't worry those people are unhelpful in all threads.

From any research I have done it seems to be lack of compression in the engine. My e46 is a 330d and it runs sweet, drives nice and is pretty fast for a derv. Its economical too. So I dunno it may be that its down on compression but it drives fine. The piston would normally compress the air and thats whats holding the car but if its leaking or whatever its got no resistance. Or thats how I imagine it.

I've not read the thread right through but this is the first car I've had for a while that I leave in gear when parked.this is because my drive is on a slope and the first time I parked and pulled up the HB the car rolled forward so now leave it in reverse and it has no become habit even on flat ground.

I've not read the thread right through but this is the first car I've had for a while that I leave in gear when parked.this is because my drive is on a slope and the first time I parked and pulled up the HB the car rolled forward so now leave it in reverse and it has no become habit even on flat ground.

The Zed handrake is hopeless, you can adjust it then a week later it is the same again, I just got used to leaving it in gear everytime I parked up...

TBH I think its a bit pathetic that people would jump to that conclusion but whatever. Don't worry those people are unhelpful in all threads.

From any research I have done it seems to be lack of compression in the engine. My e46 is a 330d and it runs sweet, drives nice and is pretty fast for a derv. Its economical too. So I dunno it may be that its down on compression but it drives fine. The piston would normally compress the air and thats whats holding the car but if its leaking or whatever its got no resistance. Or thats how I imagine it.

Every day is a school day :thumbs:

The Zed handrake is hopeless, you can adjust it then a week later it is the same again, I just got used to leaving it in gear everytime I parked up...

Agreed. You cant even do handbrake turns in the snow for god sake!

I few months ago I had the garage dismantle both rear handbrake systems (as in, the 1 on each side), clean them up and fit brand new genuine shoes aaaaand....it still exactly the same.

I can just about stop on a 20-30 degree incline if I wrench the handbrake up as if im trying to pull it out of the floor.

That's odd cs, had mine sorted at Abbey over a year ago and it's still very good :shrug:

Yeah I know its odd. If you look around online it seems a very common complaint. Something about the size od the handbrake shoes (and the drum) being simply too small for the size and weight of the Zed.

It has mildly improved since fitting new shoes, but I still have to pretend im iron-man when using it on a slope.

I think he's winding us up!

I agree lol... if first gear cant prevent a car from rolling backwards, then how on earth is it going to move it forwards! I always leave my in third or reverse when parked on any kind of slope, preferably with the front wheels pointing into the kerb in case that doesnt work!

The handbrake is more than likely too small for the car, but if set up properly then it does work enough to hold the car without having to wrench it to the ceiling. My handbrake used to be adjusted every service by the local Nissan dealer to where I used to work, I very much doubt most places do this part and parcel of a service though. In my case it was because the Zed handbrake is known to be poor so they always checked for me.

Still the OPs car doesnt sound healthy if it doesnt hold on the engine alone. Regardless of if other cars do it or not, my Zed used to always hold itself, so sounds like something isnt right. Abbey/Alex/CS/Jez should be able to comment/confirm me thinks.

That's odd cs, had mine sorted at Abbey over a year ago and it's still very good :shrug:

Yeah I know its odd. If you look around online it seems a very common complaint. Something about the size od the handbrake shoes (and the drum) being simply too small for the size and weight of the Zed.

It has mildly improved since fitting new shoes, but I still have to pretend im iron-man when using it on a slope.

:) Ha ha, i was aware of the problem that's why I got it looked at :)as Chris I says it's down to adjustment.

Yes but yours is a garage queen not a daily :p

Mine used to do 75+ miles a day in all weathers including snow :p

Yeah I think some are better than others, Darren B adjusted mine when hd did my brake discs and he knows his stuff, also Abbey did mine once and both times it was crap again very quickly :surrender:

Yeah I think some are better than others, Darren B adjusted mine when hd did my brake discs and he knows his stuff, also Abbey did mine once and both times it was crap again very quickly :surrender:

User error, clearly :stir:

User error, clearly :stir:

Without a doubt :lol:

To keep my handbrake working properly I use it to stop the car if I'm rolling slowly up to traffic lights etc. This seems to remove corrosion and crud from the drum.

you're better off doing it at 50-60mph round corners - you attract women then too

• Like 1

My handbrake used to be rubbish but then I did the bedding in procedure that is in the workshop manual (someting like decelerate from 20 - 0mph a few times using the handbrake) and then tightened up the cable from the adjuster inside the cabin and since then it has worked brilliantly.