I'm new, and would value your opinion on this 370Z

Jalada

Hello community! I'm hoping that soon I will be a proper member (i.e. own a Z)...but for now I'm hoping I might be able to get some advice.

I'm looking at this second-hand 370Z black edition from a private seller:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201305286977398

Everything checks out, but you know what they say about things seeming too good to be true.

Anything I should be wary of? Generally I would rather buy from a dealer, but I'm not sure what that would gain me here? I'll have the car inspected before buying.

Sorry if this is a bit of an...exploitative...first post.

looks good to me

"Bridgestone Potenza run-flat tyres" - don't think so :wacko: - Bridgestone potenza - yes - at 20,000 miles though - either replaced with same or....... ????

Hmm yeah. I asked and the front right one is 2 months old, and the others he's not sure. They were on the car when he bought it in February last year, it had done 12000 miles at that point and the tyres 'looked new' then.

The tyres have more than 5mm tread on all of them, apparently (I haven't looked at the car myself yet).

Edited by Jalada

If it looks like a duck and squacks like a duck, then it probably is. If you're in any doubt, walk away, there will be another. Failing that, you could ask nicely if there is a club member that knows 370's to go and have a look for/with you.

Thanks bronzee, you're right, I do need to make sure I'm not rushing for the sake of it.

I've booked a full vehicle inspection with the AA to be on the safe side. Provided that goes OK, I should be good to go

Very similar to the one I bought last month, similar price, mileage and also a private sale. Once it's had an MOT and service it should just be a case of checking the obvious things like tyres, brakes etc. Also check the build no. to find out if it's affected by the steering lock recall.

Mine has been totally reliable so far, good luck :thumbs:

Same car as mine. If it checks out go for it. Best colour imo and contrary to previous misguided post the interior is v nice :) Price is arguably a wee bit high for the mileage and don't forget to budget for a decent exhaust to sort the weedy sound out! Good luck.

• Like 1

I'm struggling to find somewhere that will insure me for 1 day to take the car for a test drive. I think it's the combination of my age (I'm 23) and the car. It's my fault a little for leaving it too late (today) as the owner is also understandably reluctant to organise adding me on to his insurance as a named driver (e.g. if the details are wrong he will be liable). I also have no insurance in my name - I am only named driver on another policy.

Any suggestions or thoughts? I think I'm happy to forgo the test drive anyway, as it will be driven during the inspection and I don't need a test drive to tell me I want one! But is that wise? :S

Edited by Jalada

Not to my knowledge. When you take out insurance it is for the person & the car, not the car on its own. I believe this is different in America for example, where it's just the car that is insured and anyone can drive it?

I actually prefer being a passenger, you can concentrate on listening for noises and watching how it is being driven. I find when you drive a car for the 1st time it's difficult to know if something is wrong, or just different to what you're used to (unless it's something really obvious).

For the record I also gave up trying to find one day insurance for my vx when I was 21 and didn't even bother looking when I went to see the z. Passenger rides were fine.

Not to my knowledge. When you take out insurance it is for the person & the car, not the car on its own. I believe this is different in America for example, where it's just the car that is insured and anyone can drive it?

Same over here, so it makes it much easier. Although most people will still have named drivers to keep the premiums low. :)

I actually prefer being a passenger, you can concentrate on listening for noises and watching how it is being driven. I find when you drive a car for the 1st time it's difficult to know if something is wrong, or just different to what you're used to (unless it's something really obvious).

Done this many a time, when going for a test drive with someone. Put your hands on the sides of the seat, or under if you can reach, and rest your foot against the firewall. You'll be amazed how much feed the car gives. And definitely if going for a private sale, very interesting to see how the current owner is driving. Even if they are on their best behaviour. ;)