Dead clutch

ToonGeneral

Hi,

First time posting :-) Only had my 350 just over three months, second hand 54 plate, so one of the earlier ones. Complete car n00b really, went from an Astra Club to this! Decided I liked the way it drove a lot more than others in the same price bracket and always thought the 350 is better looking than anything else. Have to admit, given lack of car knowledge, it was a combination of price, looks and IT GOES REALLY FAST that won the day :-D

Anyway, 99% sure the clutch has gone. Foot down will result in plenty of revs and no power to the wheels and therefore (I'm assuming) it's clutch and nothing is even getting as far as drive shaft etc. Given there is also a nice burning smell I think it's pretty cut and dried. I've been reading around on here for the last half hour but as it's already failed, I need to move fairly quick; it's my main transport. Sorry if I've missed any threads, only read a handful.

Basically, gonna have to get it replaced and it sounds like should do the flywheel at the same time. I've seen people recommending certain garages and ZMANALEX is apparently the man to get a deal on parts. However, I'm 17 days out of the three month warranty (always the goddamn way) so, given the money involved I want it done under that. On the flipside I got it from an online dealer (part of a national chain) that share a forecourt with a VW Commercial vehicles garage and use their service department to do warranty work. I trust them with this car as far as I could throw the whole building. This is not the first problem I've had (a story for another day) and for something like this, I want it done right, I just don't think I can afford to be picky!

So, can anyone help me with:

- how much should I expect them to quote for parts and labour (assuming I win the argument about them doing it under warranty)

- is there anything specific I should make them aware of, from the gurus on here? :-)

- should I sack them in and just stump up to have it done properly?

- if it is clutch, what other things might they throw at me as needing doing as well?

- is it worth me entertaining another cause?!

Any help much appreciated, will be ringing the garage tomorrow morning!

EDIT in Maidenhead, Berks if it's of any consequence

Edited by ToonGeneral

Its £500 job including parts nears as damn it.

Main worry would be if they were cheapskates and didn't change the flywheel at the same time as it sound like your clutch is completely knackered and once they get that far worn they damage the flywheel faceplate.

If you can get them to pay then great, otherwise yes go for zmanalex exedy fly and clutch with new release bearing and pay a decent garage to do it in 3-4 hours.

Good luck with your warranty claim, however all parts are in stock if required and good to go same/next day.

You will require the following:

Exedy Clutch Kit.

Single mass or dual mass flywheel.

Genuine Nissan gearbox fluid.

Genuine DC Moly slip gearbox additive.

You will finds all the parts in my sub forum Zstore.

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/137-zmanalex/

Just drop me a PM if I can help you further.

Alex. :)

Cheers guys,

Ringing the garage when I get to work. I'm not really expecting a victory but we'll see. If they don't do it, £500 I can deal with, nearer a grand I cannot!

Will be back for advice on parts and garage if need them.

from previous threads on here that i've read i'm sorry to say i think you'll be spending closer to £600 for parts if your replacing clutch and flywheel and depending on the garage £200 ish for labour.

fingers crossed for your warranty claim.

Jon

OK, as expected, sales garage are refusing to cover it and warranty considers it wear and tear and doesn't cover it.

I'm getting local places to quote. Fortunately I know a couple of smaller places locally that have been recommended as generally good. I expect most of them will take parts I supply and fit them for me. However, anyone on here want to recommend a place local to Maidenhead? Or potentially Reading, but if it isn't gone completely now it will be by the time I get it there :-)

PM'd ZMANALEX.

I've been quoted £600 - £700 in general and that's just the clutch and fitting. Obviously expect to add the cost of the flywheel if you do that too.

However there is one place that has quoted £449.99 for clutch and fitting.

I would love to buy an uprated clutch and flywheel and get them fitted but I haven't got the time or funding to go that route at present.

Edited by Yampiedog

My 53 plate car, before I bought in in Feb had complete new clutch assembly carried out by Nissan dealer, without flywheel change as far as I can see but including a new slave cylinder and I have the bill for

£900 (£457 was labour, £153 was tax and the rest was parts)

Edited by z350convert

Might need to video getting it out of the underground car park... probably going to need to be done with man power! Flatmate and I just tried to get any gear engaged and clutch pedal comes right back up without anything. Seems like the clutch plate isn't getting to meet the fly as there are no noises or anything to indicate a problem. It's like it doesn't get there.

Without getting it out the car park and to a garage won't know for sure but either way, something needs fixed!