An Idiots guide to car mechanics by an Idiot

Fisherking

Thanks for your comments guys, glad you enjoyed reading.

Some have said it's probably best to leave alone and take to a dealer. Each to their own but for my part, despite the "issues" I have had I have enjoyed every moment so far (apart from maybe the hand break and the bus lane fine). I used to own a Mini Cooper S JCW and loved it but I would always take it to a garage for any work. The thing with taking your car to a garage every time is you are never going to learn as all the work is done out of sight.

Of course trying things myself I have saved a few pounds but more importantly I feel that i've grown closer to the car if that makes sense and of course am making friends along the way :)

The plan going forward over the next year is

- Change of all 4 tyres in the next week for MPSS so I can survive long enough to complete the below (I'll probably keep the crappy Autogrips and either sell on here for any drifting fans or keep myself and use for a trackday or something)

- Am presently gathering "bits" for a grounding kit I am going to try and make and fit myself

- Gearbox and diff fluid change in the next month (I know my limits in skill and jacking here so will be asking for help with this)

Then when paid off the tyres and iminent holiday the "fun" stuff starts:

- Cobra exhaust and Y-pipe (Hopefully Keyser can help me fit so better start taking out share's in Crispy Kreme)

- Plenum spacer & Mrev2 lower plenum (will be getting the forum guides out for these and having a go myself :) )

- Possibly HFC's but haven't decided on this yet (won't be attempting this myself - but then again..... )

- Uprev tune

At somepoint I would like a CF front lip, just depends on how long I can resist

Onwards and upwards

Matt

Edited by Fisherking

RESULT: After 2.5 hours of struggling managed to remove one spacer, one camber arm and one steering arm. Oh, and broke the other steering arm, one of my shed walls, two screwdrivers, most of my knuckles ........

haha I love the fact you destroyed a shed wall too.....

Please just do yourself one favour

Buy a torque wrench

And make sure you use it when doing anything with the wheels or associated parts.

Most bolts and fixings have a torque setting related to what size/thread and material they are made from so you can always find a close setting on the net if you look for it.

Failing that dont fit anything without knowing the torque setting first. This will stop issues such as fitting spacers without knowing their tight enough.

Big credit to you for the perseverance and even bigger credit for sharing your mechanical apprenticeship with us. :clap:

Must admit I do tend to lose count the number of times I check spacer/wheels nuts tightness - even with the torque wrench clicking away as much to say "how many more times we going round this bloody wheel."

• Like 1

Good write up, good tip on the wheel spacers and having a friend press the brakes! :)

I used my friend Mr Screwdriver. He sat in the rotor and stopped it from moving round! :teeth:

Not many friends then? :lol: