Monaro VXR

Dan

I went to look at a Monaro last night. A guy I used to deal with has one on his pitch, 06/56 6.0 VXR with 4k on the clock, in Black with Black Leather. I wondered if he might trade it to me for sensible money so I went to look at it while he was closed so I could make sure it was mint - he has a habit of not describing things accurately !

It looked the boxxocks, especially in Black. I don't usually go for Black cars but it really looked quite menacing ;-)

It's big too, bigger than I imagined. It looks about the size of a big Merc CL500, in other words its a fair bit bigger than a Supra or 350Z.

I know the press rave about them and I quite fancy one, especially now I've seen one in the flesh.

400bhp, rear drive, 6.0 litre V8, 6 speed manual, gobs of torque, 60 in 5, over 180 all out and apparently a massive top gear which gives 100mph for less than 2000rpm !

I read a few road tests on line and apparently they have trouble maxing them out because top is too high. 5th reaches to just over 150, then you drop into 6th and it picks up very slowly from then onwards. It's geared for 250 but would never get there, but a couple of mags have seen over 180 with plenty more revs to go !!!

It's all academic mind, but I love the effortless cruising a high top gear gives.

There is also a Vauxhall approved Supercharger conversion which gives 500 bhp....

So, anyone driven one ?

It shall be mine... next car for me I hope :thumbs: They are huge, about a foot longer than the Zed (i know this as I measured my drive to see one would fit :teeth: ). Never driven one though, but you can get some good deals out there. If you can find one, the VXR500 is the one to go for :thumbs:

Some info here http://www.carsdbs.com/community/triumph/4870-vauxhall-monaro-vxr500.html

I bought it about an hour ago. 56 plate 6.0 litre VXR, 4k on the clock, in Black, Black Leather. Had a very frustrating drive home in it, constantly stuck behind dawdlers and I was dying to let her rip !

Finally came to the motorway slip road and hoofed it, and very nearly ended up facing the way I came !!!

Then I remembered 400 bhp, silly torque, wet tarmac and decided to feed the throttle in a little more progressively B)

Picks up well, sounds aweswome.

Anyway, its fuelled up, tyre pressures checked, sunglasses packed, CD's loaded.

I'm waiting for the traffic to calm down and I'm off.

More from me tommorow - or maybe Thursday depending on where I end up. I could just do the highlands for the hell of it :teeth:

Doesn't look sexy, methinks. Its like a split decision between "Attention Seeking Whore" (sl114) and "Noisy Horny Bstard"
You know its me all the way B)

Personally i really like them, but it doesnt stand out enough and for the money, id rather go down the Mustang gt500 route. :thumbs:

id rather go down the Mustang gt500 route. :thumbs:

I'll maybe try one of those next :p

With my track record it won't see the weekend !

I seem to be having a run of "bad luck" where every time I buy something for a bit of fun some plum comes along and buys it. My last Zed lasted 3 weeks before someone bought it. I was gutted :yuck:

I bought it about an hour ago. 56 plate 6.0 litre VXR, 4k on the clock, in Black, Black Leather. Had a very frustrating drive home in it, constantly stuck behind dawdlers and I was dying to let her rip !

Finally came to the motorway slip road and hoofed it, and very nearly ended up facing the way I came !!!

Then I remembered 400 bhp, silly torque, wet tarmac and decided to feed the throttle in a little more progressively B)

Picks up well, sounds aweswome.

Anyway, its fuelled up, tyre pressures checked, sunglasses packed, CD's loaded.

I'm waiting for the traffic to calm down and I'm off.

More from me tommorow - or maybe Thursday depending on where I end up. I could just do the highlands for the hell of it :teeth:

Top man! :thumbs: Did the number plate come with it?

I had a nice run out with the wife and kids last night - sadly another couple of hundred kilos to drag about. I was hoping to go alone, but they insisted on coming along :angry: pmsl

Great car, loads of torque, no need to rev it very much at all because it just pulls like a train from 1500rpm in any gear - except 6th which is a very high ratio so takes the edge off the performance, but its great for effortless high speed cruising - 90 for 2000rpm !

The seats are amazing, possibly the best seats I've ever had and I've had lots of cars. Even the back seats are good, like individual bucket seats and enough room for two adults. There is loads of room inside.

As for the handling, well it's a big heavy car with quite heavy controls, especially the gearshift, so its not something you can jump in straight away and get the best out of. It takes a little acclimatisation but after a few miles I was quite comfortable with it and the speeds were picking up. The handling is very good and very predictable, I half expected it to be a bit of a handful - and it easily loses the tail in the wet - but in the dry there is loads of grip and it tells you exactly whats going on. It wouldn't be out of place on a track, despite the weight. There is a little body roll initially but in a way this works well because you can feel the outside tyres load up and as you feed the power in you can feel exactly what the back tyre is up to and you know exactly when its going to let go. Its all very safe and predicatble - the size and weight prevent it from being "twitcy".

The engine is amazing. Bags of power everywhere, no need to rev it, no turbo lag, just a big shove in the back from 1500rpm. Once on the move it really doesnt need gears ! And it spins right round to the red line totally effortlessly. Its a superb engine. A bit too quiet though, I need more rumble with my 6.0 litre V8 :teeth:

I love this car, I just hope I have it for a while before a punter comes along and ruins my day :thumbdown:

Full set of pictures now uploaded to my website : www.TheGlenNissan.co.uk

I had a nice run out with the wife and kids last night - sadly another couple of hundred kilos to drag about. I was hoping to go alone, but they insisted on coming along :angry: pmsl

Great car, loads of torque, no need to rev it very much at all because it just pulls like a train from 1500rpm in any gear - except 6th which is a very high ratio so takes the edge off the performance, but its great for effortless high speed cruising - 90 for 2000rpm !

The seats are amazing, possibly the best seats I've ever had and I've had lots of cars. Even the back seats are good, like individual bucket seats and enough room for two adults. There is loads of room inside.

As for the handling, well it's a big heavy car with quite heavy controls, especially the gearshift, so its not something you can jump in straight away and get the best out of. It takes a little acclimatisation but after a few miles I was quite comfortable with it and the speeds were picking up. The handling is very good and very predictable, I half expected it to be a bit of a handful - and it easily loses the tail in the wet - but in the dry there is loads of grip and it tells you exactly whats going on. It wouldn't be out of place on a track, despite the weight. There is a little body roll initially but in a way this works well because you can feel the outside tyres load up and as you feed the power in you can feel exactly what the back tyre is up to and you know exactly when its going to let go. Its all very safe and predicatble - the size and weight prevent it from being "twitcy".

The engine is amazing. Bags of power everywhere, no need to rev it, no turbo lag, just a big shove in the back from 1500rpm. Once on the move it really doesnt need gears ! And it spins right round to the red line totally effortlessly. Its a superb engine. A bit too quiet though, I need more rumble with my 6.0 litre V8 :teeth:

I love this car, I just hope I have it for a while before a punter comes along and ruins my day :thumbdown:

MPG?

MPG?

It says 22mpg in Dan's website advert.

MPG?

22 mpg from a 6.0 V8 400bhp lump???? :surrender:

MPG?

22 mpg from a 6.0 V8 400bhp lump???? :surrender:

That's what he's advertising it's mpg as. :mellow:

Dan? :snack:

Yeah, I filled it up (95 RON, Premium, not Super ) and reset the trip before we set off. I did a route of maybe 100 miles or so, some motorway, some fast A road and at least 30 minutes of very twisty B road. When I got home it was showing 22.2 mpg.

I wasn't hanging about ( the Wife got pins and needles in her hand from hanging on :) and several most un-ladylike expletives were uttered ) but the beauty of it is the gearing, its very high geared so the engine spends most of its time turning over quite slowly even though the road speed is quite high. You could easily drive all day without ever exceeding 3000rpm and still travel quickly - in top that would give you over 120mph.

The engine isn't working very hard most of the time so therefore doesnt drink much. At a steady 85mph and about 1900rpm the mpg was gradually creeping up the whole time. It wouldn't surprise me if it could do 25mpg on long motorway run.

Modern cars are very good on fuel. Over Easter weekend I took a 4.2V8 S-Type to Glasgow and back. Coming home the road was deserted so I set the cruise at the ton, sat back and relaxed. It averaged 28 point something, doing the ton all the way. Thats another high geared motor, again doing about 2000rpm for about 90mph. The V8 S-Type is a totally different beast from the V6 models, but thats another story.

Its mainly stop/start and hard acceleration that burn your fuel, but still 20+mpg without trying, out of a 6 litre V8 - weighing 1800kilos - is pretty good ;)