hand brake too tight??

Dave_the_Rave

Hello all

When rolling I hear a clicking from my rear wheel area, I don't think its the typical axle/ drive shaft click

I've just had my hand brake adjusted by a garage..

So my question is when the rear wheels are off the ground in neutral with the hand brake off should they spin fairly freely similar to the front?

So my question is when the rear wheels are off the ground in neutral with the hand brake off should they spin fairly freely similar to the front?

Yes, they should spin freely, had my wheels off several times and they've always rotated fine.

Pete

As above, they will turn with some slight resistance and not 'freely' like the fronts.

Raise the wheels, put 1 click on the handbrake and see or feel if the resistance is increased. I doubt that an over tight handbrake would induce clicking, stone in tyre might though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Yes, they should spin freely, had my wheels off several times and they've always rotated fine.

Pete

Hey guys,

I have a question about this kind of topic... Can somebody please check my video and tell if this is fine?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hveLucsT9Ho

This is on the rear left side (with the right wheel on the ground) and I'm trying to spin the disc as hard as I can!

The grinding sound is not coming from the hand brake tho, but from the pads.

It seems strange to me that it's blocking so much and that you say that it should spin freely, because when outside the car and in neutral, the car doesn't feel heavy to push with hands (my previous golf5 gti had more resistance) and even if I'm on a slight incline, the car starts to move. Also after driving on the highway if I coast and stop without using the brakes, the discs are not hot.

So is this fine or there shouldn't be any grinding at all?

Thanks for any replies

350z has a lsd. If you are spinning the wheel with the other one on the ground. You are spinning all the gears in the diff, with both wheels off. When you spin one the other will spin making it less resistance.

had another listen on pc...

Thats normal its just the pad up against the disc, nothing to worry about

Edited by peteman35