Canon 600D

Neilp

Fancied a new camera after I lost my old bridge camera on a bus in mexico.

Got this deal http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-eos-600d-digital-slr-camera-with-18-55mm-is-ii-lens/p1523926?awc=2298_1367145262_7f3dc0d93ad8d22f62f0322ddced62a9&utm_source=aw

Its a Canon 600D with 18-55mm IS II lens and a Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II lens free.

Seemed like a decent deal.

Any body got this camera/lens combo.

Anything else you would recommend buying with this? I've ordered 3 spare batteries and a new case for it along with a 64GB 45mb/s SD Card.

Cheap wireless remotes - Yongnuo RF-603 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/YONGNUO-Wireless-Trigger-Shutter-Transceiver/dp/B007PBNEDC/

Cheap flashes - Yongnuo YN460-II - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yongnuo-II-YN-460-Speedlite-Wireless/dp/B00A49XBKI/

It's worth getting a battery grip too - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Canon-Rebel-Digital-Camera/dp/B004UTQRHW/

Sigma do good lenses for the money but I guess it depends on what you want to take a picture of.

Cheers mate. I'll be doing cars, scenery, beaches, sunsets etc. Just a variety. I managed some pretty good shots with my bridge camera in such a short time of owning so I will have this camera a while.

Whats the point of the battery grip? Soz mate i'm a little unsure.

Thanks for the info :thumbs:

Some people say it gives you a better grip when taking portrait photos. But you can more battery's in so longer battery life. But I personally perfect to just carry 2 rechargeable battery's its smaller and easier for me. It's rare the battery dies at one event.

Some people say it gives you a better grip when taking portrait photos. But you can more battery's in so longer battery life. But I personally perfect to just carry 2 rechargeable battery's its smaller and easier for me. It's rare the battery dies at one event.

Thanks matey. Didnt really know what it was as the bridge camera is a just a hybrid and without all the accessories.

The lenses which come with the camera, what are the main uses for them? (if there is any) and what will they be unsuitable for?

The camera will also be used on holiday for taking the usual pics, will these do?

I'm currently doing some reading at the moment to try and pic up the basics.

Is there any particular cleaners I should have etc to stop the lenses getting dirty.

Cheers

Edited by Neilp

I have a 550D, and the 600D has the same sensor, cannot fault it, its fab.

I would recommend also looking at flash guns, i waited a few years before buying an external flash for my 550D, now it stays on the camera almost all the time when I'm in doors.

In regards to lens, I've gone through the kit lens, the 50mm, a Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4 IS, and now use a Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS. The Canon 17-55 is now by far my favourite lens, the constant f2.8 through the zoom range is amazing, that along with the fab ISO range of the sensor lets you get some amazing shots.

8689211438_08f4879b91_b.jpg

• Like 1

Nice photo! Thanks for that!

The 600d was a good price. I wasnt looking for anything professional and the reviews seemed pretty good! At 440 quid it seemed like a pretty good deal

holysh1t! that 17-55mm lens is expensive!!

Is it worth getting the like of a lens hood also?

:lol: You can end up spending EASILY double/triple what you pay for the camera body on lens/tripods/other gadgets...

Looking back at some of my photos, actually even with just the kit lens/built in flash, hand held, you can get some great shots.

7083482255_528203591f_b.jpg

6937282624_8560fb22ff_b.jpg

In regards to protecting the lens, I have gone way off lens filters, I dropped my 17-55 f 2.8 last year. The filter smashed and scratch the top coating of the lens :scare: . Reading up on the topic showed that the actual lens is made from hardened glass, and much harder to break than any filter. These days I just use a lens hood if needed (to stop lens flare), but mostly protect the lens by been careful and not dropping it :lol:

8155420923_611b7e0b86_b.jpg

Edited by gangzoom

Does the like of this screw straight onto the canon ? http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00A49XBKI/

I'm guessing the camera talks to this through a wireless connection?

It slides into the top of your camera. Otherwise you can use the onboard flash to trigger it while it is sitting somewhere else, or you can use the wireless remotes to trigger it if you don't want to use your onboard flash.

Cheap wireless remotes - Yongnuo RF-603 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/YONGNUO-Wireless-Trigger-Shutter-Transceiver/dp/B007PBNEDC/

Cheap flashes - Yongnuo YN460-II - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yongnuo-II-YN-460-Speedlite-Wireless/dp/B00A49XBKI/

It's worth getting a battery grip too - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Canon-Rebel-Digital-Camera/dp/B004UTQRHW/

Sigma do good lenses for the money but I guess it depends on what you want to take a picture of.

Had a look at the remotes and would like to know what the difference is between TTL and non-TTL?

Does it depend on camera model?

Neil,

I have the 650D and it is a cracking camera, im sure the results you will get from the 600D will be great.

The first thing I swapped was the standard 18-55 kit lens for the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 VC, which is a relative bargain compared to Canon's 17-55 equivalent. The kit lens gave me about £70 towards the cost when I sold it.

I also own the 50mm f/1.8; I have used it maybe 3 times in total, I find the quality of the Tamron is that good that I dont need to use it.

I have a Canon 55-250 IS which only cost me about £110 brand new; this is a bargain and I only wanted a longer lens for rare occasions when Im watching motorsport.

With regards a flash, I have a Yongnuo 565 which is great; it works off camera without any additional wireless triggers. It is a TTL (Through The Lens), so it is totally automatic.

Get a decent bag for holding everything in, and also a smaller front loading one if you want to just take the camera and one lens with you.

Oh and if you havent already bought it from the link you posted, it is £20 cheaper in Currys with the same deal.

Hope this helps :thumbs:

TTL is basically your flash knowing what power to use depending on your light meter in your camera. Some remotes don't know how to send this information so the flash would be stuck in manual mode where you tell the flash how powerful to be. I would imagine most cameras and a decent flash on top of it would be able to use TTL. Some cheap flashes won't have TTL anyway, like my YN460, but my Canon 430EX does. However, when fired remotely with my cheap remotes, my 430EX loses the ability to work out the correct exposure itself.

I don't really know the difference between the two flashes Neil, but usually the bigger the number the better :)

Neil,

I have the 650D and it is a cracking camera, im sure the results you will get from the 600D will be great.

The first thing I swapped was the standard 18-55 kit lens for the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 VC, which is a relative bargain compared to Canon's 17-55 equivalent. The kit lens gave me about £70 towards the cost when I sold it.

I also own the 50mm f/1.8; I have used it maybe 3 times in total, I find the quality of the Tamron is that good that I dont need to use it.

I have a Canon 55-250 IS which only cost me about £110 brand new; this is a bargain and I only wanted a longer lens for rare occasions when Im watching motorsport.

With regards a flash, I have a Yongnuo 565 which is great; it works off camera without any additional wireless triggers. It is a TTL (Through The Lens), so it is totally automatic.

Get a decent bag for holding everything in, and also a smaller front loading one if you want to just take the camera and one lens with you.

Oh and if you havent already bought it from the link you posted, it is £20 cheaper in Currys with the same deal.

is the currys one the IS II lens also? I noticed some were advertised cheaper with the non IS lens

Neil,

is the currys one the IS II lens also? I noticed some were advertised cheaper with the non IS lens

Pretty sure the only the 1100D comes with the non-is lens, but best to check in store.

bit the bullet and ordered the 565 with the TTL. 100 bucks well spent I hope lol

Sounds like you've got everything you need to get started :)

Enjoy the gear and start getting some shots in...just hope you don't get hooked and end up spending silly amounts on stuff you really don't need (like my self) :lol:.

Enjoy the gear and start getting some shots in...just hope you don't get hooked and end up spending silly amounts on stuff you really don't need (like my self) :lol:.

I could have never imagined I would spend serious money on it, but I thought the same when I bought the Zed :lol: