First Impressions of 370Z

GIBBONS

So finally got my 370Z registered (been sat on my drive the last 5 days taunting me!) and been for a nice 2 hour drive on some of the Island's best roads.

Just a few of questions:

- Should I be able to hear the clutch and gears plonk into place? It's something I'm used to with the VX but just want to check it's normal and not a sign of anything bad.

- There was a bad clutch smell when I finished parking, now I'm prepared to admit my gearchanges weren't the smoothest as the bite point on the clutch is a bit closer than I'm used to. I also tried a brief 0-60 test which may not have helped. Just want to check if anyone else has had clutches on the way out at around 32k miles or if I've just got new car paranoia :blush:

- The car seems happiest cruising at about 2k rpm, is this what others find or going for a lower/higher general rpm.

Otherwise my first impressions are very good, steering is very crisp and grip levels are astonishing. The brakes are very impressive as well and the suspension is just what I was looking for, stiff enough to all but eliminate body roll but still comfortable and stable on crappy road surfaces. The overtaking ability is what impressed me most though, I've lost count of the amount of times I've been in the VX stuck behind someone doing 70ish mph on the mountain road and been missing that extra bit of oomph to dispatch them safely... No problem anymore! :lol:

Supposed to be sunny tomorrow so sexy pics from up the mountain to follow shortly :)

The gears are quite plonky at first, you get used to them, and synchrorev makes them seamless.

You will get a burning smell for the first few hundred miles, mine had this also, smells like clutch/brake dust. I expect it is just the newness.

Something to keep tabs on then, as I said could just be poor technique while I get used to it, I do park on a fairly steep hill and spent a bit of time shuffling back and forth to get it nicely parked. I'm gonna drop it into Nissan for a service and thorough inspection in a few weeks anyway so will get them to check it out if it continues.

Wouldn't have thought you should get a smell from the clutch with normal driving. My previous 370z was my first car so I was prone to some pretty rough gear changes and less than great driving etc for a good while. I don't recall ever getting a clutch smell, except on a couple of occasions when I over-revved and didn't release the clutch quickly enough so i got a bit of 'clutch burn'.

Edited by sipar69

Looking very nice and you have some roads there you can exercise the 370 to its potential - must get over there myself sometime :)

Thanks! If you do ever visit give me a shout, if there's one thing I know, it's where the best driving roads on the Island are.

You're black edition is a thing of beauty B)

You're not the only one to have pointed out a strong wiff of clutch. See link below which myself & others have contributed to.

http://www.350z-uk.c...z-clutch-smell/

Cheers for that, think that I'm okay then as I only got the clutch smell after parking up, I was flanging about a fair bit getting it into place on the hill by my house so that probably explains it.

Worth taking your time parking to keep those wheels nice anyway. I don't live on a hill but I still spend a fair while shuffling into place :)

:cry: Previous owner already managed to slightly mark all 4 wheels. I plan on getting them refurbed at some point though.

That's a pain but at least if you have them all done at the same time you will get a consistent finish. I ended up getting all mine redone in a different colour because people seem to struggle to replicate the 'smoked chrome' look consistently. At one point I had one wheel that was quite obviously darker than the others. I ended up going for this more basic colour in the end, so it should be easier to replicate if I ever curb them again. I posted up the results here. Kept them free of the curb since then, but no doubt cursed myself by saying that :)

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/59939-repainted-wheels/page__hl__%2Brepainted+%2Bwheels