Time to replace the tyres...

Mikesding

First of all, im currently running 4x RE050a's and cannot fault them - they've been great in the dry, wet, cold; but obviously I have nothing to compare against, and they're the 2nd most expensive tyre for the zed.

After researching a bit here and around the web, I see...

ekona raves about the Michelin Pilot Super Sports (about the same price as the RE050a's)

Good reviews of the Falken 453s (about £30 cheaper per tyre)

My question was, my old Audi came with Dunlop Sportmaxx tyres which I found very good - I haven't seen many/any reviews of these tyres on the zed, and they come in a bit cheaper than the falkens. Anyone have any opinions on them?

I'd be buying 2 fronts first (as my rears still have about 4.5mm left) so i'd be mismatched for a couple of months. I'm guessing unless I decide to go racing this wouldn't be the biggest issue?

edit: i'm happy buying the MPSS if they are noticably better; ashame there is no way to try tyre before you buy :lol:

Edited by Mikesding

If you're going to be mixing for that long (and at 4.5mm you've got quite a bit of wear left in the 050As), then I'd just stick with the 050As to be honest. They're not quite as good as the MPSS, but if you're happy with them then I'd stick with them.

I've been trawling for opinions myself for a couple of weeks. General consesus seems to be MPSS are the preferred option. FK453s are not too bad as a cheaper option but may wear a bit faster. Can get a full set of MPSS on blackcircles.com for about £787 so I'm probably going with that. They also have an MOT for a fiver promo going so bonus!

Thanks for the input guys, thinking I might just go for all 4 MPSS - dubious about the £5 MoT though zroar, can imagine they will fleece you on parts if you only pay £5 for the MoT :p

Had a closer look when ordering there, you claim the offer from black circles, pay for the MOT then send them a copy of the pass certificate and Black Circles refund it minus £5. Aparrently.

Posted the prices I got here.

Edited by zroar