Pros and Cons of Big Brake Kits?

Drayvn

I was just wondering about upgrading my brakes, of course we have the option of the DBA and Ferodo combo that seems to work very well for everyone. Theres also the Stoptech brake upgrades. And of course the Big Brake upgrade.

What i was wondering is do you get that much more performance out of the big brakes compared the the upgraded standard discs and pads for the extra weight that you'll be carrying?

Are the DBA and Ferodo combo just as good at braking compared to the big brakes?

Of course the big brakes look nice but kinda taking looks and price out of the equation and solely trying to base this on performance.

I've driven with a BBK (k sport) and they're a huge step up from oem or even DBA's.

The bigger disk and added brake pistons make for far improved braking. There's no harm for street use and you'll have far better braking, but as CS has said, you would see a huge difference on track.

If you aren't consistently locking your wheels when braking, then you don't need a BBK. Yes, they will also improve heatloss and therefore resist fade slightly better, but their big advantage is to allow a bigger surface area and more pistons so giving more bite before locking up. I also wouldn't consider a BBK unless you are running the best tyres available (so R888s or MPSS depending on track or street driving), as you'll get more grip from them and more braking as a result.

If you already have uprated brake pads (DS2500 minimum), discs (DBA/PF or similar), fluid (RBF600) and tyres (as mentioned above) and you still find the brakes lacking, then a BBK is absolutely the right step forward. Looking at the cost, I'd be very temped to try the K-Sport ones out first: I've heard some people rubbish them and some people praise them, so I reckon they probably sit somewhere in the middle and for the money, they look great value. Anything above that (Brembo GT et al) are strong money, and probably only worth doing if you're running massive power or are incredibly serious about track work.

From another perspective, they do allow you to run bigger wheels without your brakes looking puny if you're more interested in aesthetics than performance.